'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee: A followup.

If anyone's interested.

History: Had to pull off the highway last week in subzero temps due to overheating. Put coolant in reservoir (wish I had put it in the rad as well), and tested vehicle again, this time rapidly overheating to point of dieseling and stall and suspected blown head gasket.

A head gasket and a new rad later, back on road. 4.0 litre seems to be as smooth as before. Very happy. A little costly, but a tithe of what a car payment adds up to.

Also, for what it's worth: dealer service shop wanted to replace half the vehicle (oil sending unit, water pump, seals, exhaust manifold, remanufactured head "I can't see anything wrong, but just to be sure", etc, etc.). It totaled $3000 CDN without any opinion on whether there was damage to the lower engine parts from overheating. Dealer recommended a rebuilt engine instead for close to $4000 CDN (in my 10 year old Jeep with 225,000 kms). I basically said thanks but no thanks, looked at the head, etc., myself, asked him to put it back together with a new gasket and towed it to a rad shop for a new rad (at half the dealer quote) and told him I'd assume the risk of problems for not following his good advice. I'm quite happy with my decision.

Thanks to those who offered advice after my first post!

Reply to
pawn, loathesome, credible