'95 T&C Mystery Engine Death

I have a '95 Town and Country and it has developed a mysterious problem.

When I run the AC and drive at the same time the engine will occassionally die.

If I dont have the AC on the car runs just fine. If I have the AC on and leave the car stationary it runs just fine (and the car gets nice and cool inside).

I have seen it die when coasting at 30mph, when driving on the highway at

70mph (2200rpm) and when coming to a stop. Sometimes it dies after only 10 or 15 minutes, sometimes I can drive for an hour before it cuts out.

When it dies there is no sputtering or warning, the engine just stops as if it were turned off. I have to put the van in park and turn the ignition all the way off and then it starts just fine.

After one of these, if I pull the codes (with the ignition on/off/on/off/on and counting check engine light flashes - I get 1-12-32-32-55). I think this means:

1 = start of codes (?) 12 = Power cut to the computer 32 = EGR Valve problem 32 = EGR Valve Problem 55 = end of codes.

I dont know why I get the 32 twice, maybe if I had code scanner I could get some more info. My mechanic tells me that replacing the EGR valve is expensive and doesnt really buy you much, except a slight improvement in gas mileage and the convenience of not have the check engine light on. I'm not bothered about this fault, unless it is the cause of the Mystery Death.

Another thing I have noticed - and I dont know if this is a design feature or a symptom of my problem is that sometimes, if the engine doesnt start the first time, I have to turn the ignition all the way off again. Just turning it back to the first position and then retrying doesnt allow it to restart, but it does turn the engine over. I sat and tried to get the car to start for maybe 20 minutes one time before I figured out that I had to turn the key all the way off first.

Any clues would be appreciated. I dont want to take the van to a mechanic and let them start replacing things (at my expense) until the problem goes away - especially since they might have to drive it for a couple of hours before being sure that problem really has gone away.

Dominic

Reply to
dtzjread

on/off/on/off/on

If you took it to a mechanic that is familair with the vehicle he/she wouldnt just throw parts at it!!! You do have an EGR fault which is possibly due to a bad EGR valve but your problem is more then likely a dirty throttle body. Get yourself some gum cutter/thorttle body cleaner and an old tooth brush (or your wifes/husbands) , take the air cleaner snokel off and with the engine off and throttle blade open all the way clean the inside bore and the front and back side of the throttle blade and reassemble.

This should take care of it.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I think that's telling us something. The computer isn't involved in the decision to run the starter motor. It sounds like it's making a decision to shut down based on whatever it's programmed to do. The resulting inability to start is consistent with that.

There is an emergency shutdown relay on my LHS that powers the ignition coils, and it could be used by the computer to create the symptoms you describe. I don't know if your van has one, and perhaps more importantly, I don't know why the computer would want to use it.

Reply to
Joe

You are refering to the ASD relay, automatic shut down relay. It supplies

12 volts to activate your coils, fuel pump and 02 sensor heaters on the newer models

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
damnnickname

Will my 2001 LHS eventually get this way? Less than 11K miles on it now.

Thanks Bob AZ

Reply to
Ace

Is there a reference available (that I could look at) that would tell me how the computer operates, for instance, if there is a list of 6 conditions that will cause activation of the emergency shutdown then I could look at the sensors or wiring associated with those inputs to help find the problem.

I tried 'half starting' the engine (run the starter for a bit less than it needs to start) and found that I didnt need to turn the ignition all the way off before trying again - so it does look like the starting problem is also a symptom of the problem that causes the engine cutout while driving.

Reply to
dtzjread

No. But if it does build up around the throttle blade it could cause the throttle blade to stick alittle but not stall.