'95 Voyager 4-spd - groaning noise

My wife's '95 Voyager (3.0L, 4 spd auto) has started making a groaning noise when accelerating from a dead stop. If you accelerate VERY gently, it doesn't do it. If you accelerate normally, it does do it. Oh, and it doesn't seem to do it when the van is cold. The van has about 119,000 miles. The transmission was rebuilt about 5 years ago, and last had the fluid and filter changed in the early spring.

Other than that noise, the transmission seems fine. The fluid looks and smells good, and it shifts smoothly and quickly.

I took it to the dealer here today. I got the "they all do that". Funny, I don't recall it doing this before. The mechanic said that what we're hearing is the transmission bleeding off pressure when you accelerate from a stop so that it doesn't peel the clutch material off. Is this right??? Does this make a noise you can hear???

Note: Please remove the "nospam" from my address if replying via email.

-- Jeff Wieland

Reply to
Jeff Wieland

Engine/trans mount(s) are a potential suspect.

Translation: "Dude, your vehicle is a decade old. We're a dealer. We really don't like to mess with decade-old vehicles."

Translation: "If I babble an explanation I'm making up as I go along, then will you go away and leave me alone?".

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I wondered about that. How would I go about determining which mount? One of the mounts was changed this spring -- I have to check the paperwork to see which one.

Yeah, I know, but I've spent a fair piece of change on the old beast, and I'll probably continue to do so in the near future at least.

You may be right here. If they'd say, "it's a motor mount", and it'll cost $$ to get it replaced, I'm likely to pony up for it.

-- Jeff Wieland

Reply to
Jeff Wieland

Hmm, a vehicle that old, im curious did you happen to take a ride with the technician to point out exactly what noise you were hearing? sometimes when we get into a vehicle that old we hear all kinds of noises, maybe the one he heard wasnt what you were refering to.

Reply to
maxpower

Yes, I did take him for a ride. This was after they reported that they couldn't find anything wrong.

Yeah, we know it's old. We were seriously looking at buying a new van this spring, but gave up because the long minivans (like the Grand Caravan) are too long to fit comfortably in our garage), and the short wheel base models don't have the interior space that our '95 does. Plus the new ones get worse gas mileage.

Note: Please remove the "nospam" from my address if replying via email.

-- Jeff Wieland

Reply to
Jeff Wieland

Visual-tactile inspection.

How long after it was changed did the noise begin?

My point: Quit taking it to the *dealer*!

My point: Quit taking it to the *dealer*!

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

If your van's sheetmetal is good, and it's not rusted up, it's worth hanging on to. The trans is the big killer in these and you did yours already, the other thing to watch out for on the 3.0's is oil leaking past the valve guides. The permanent fix to that is pulling both heads and having new guides installed, the short term one is an on-engine fix where you just replace the valve seals. Other than those two problems, lots of people have got 200,000 miles out of these vans.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt