96 - 2000 Chrysler strut tower corrosion

I have a 1996 Grand Voyager with strut tower corrosion. Receiving quotes from dealers in the 4500.00 range. Chrysler pleads the 5th and says " Nothing we can do" I'm not asking them to pay for jack, just trying to get an answer why the TSB 23-044-02 states Time Allowance of 15 hours, yet the quotes are in the 4500 range (300/hr.)

Anyone here run into the same thing? Did you get Chrysler to compensate you in some way? If so, how?

Looking for guidance as I can not afford this bill yet OTOH I can not in good conscious sell this vehicle given the safety concerns.

Thanks for your time Regards, John

Reply to
John

$4500 puts the van close to being totalled because it's close to it's total value.

I would venture out to independent shops to get new quotes. I can't claim any expertise in body work, but a friend of mine at work does body work all the time on his cars and he is always showing me how he's cut out some portion of the body and welded in a new piece to accomodate something new, like a new engine or new front end.

Reply to
David Allen

Was curious as to location (use of salt on roads) and type of rust proofing if any and whether car was bought new or ever in an accident. Don't remember ever seeing this one posted before.

trying to get

Reply to
Art Begun

Art,

Location is south Jersey. The rust is developing under the hood on the top of the tower. Chrysler has admitted to a design defect (as reported by another Voyager owner to me in an email). The way the assembly was designed allows water to sit on the top of the tower mount under the hood. Here is a link showing the problem. This is not my vehicle but of another Voyager owner who posted it.

John

Reply to
Thomas

After seeing the photo, I agree with David - take it to a local competent welding and fabrication shop. They should be able to make a plate with the right cutouts and bolt holes to weld over top of the existing metal. It should be a fraction of the $4500 you were quoted by the dealer - my WAG would be under $500. It can be done to not look too bad, paint it with matching paint, etc., though it will be obvious to someone looking in that area what was done, it should work fine.

I once paid a local welding/fab shop $175 to rebuild two 80% rusted out frame members in a Subaru - still on the road 10 years later.

Bill Putney

I mentioned this friend of mine at work; let me just say that when I see the results of his body work, I can't tell that there was ever any work done unless I look very closely. Typically, he cuts the desired piece out of a salvaged vehicle using a plasma cutter. He'll take it home and do a rough cut on his car with the plasma cutter, then line up the new piece and cut to fit. Then he welds it on, grinds to smooth out the weld, then paints.

I imag> >

Reply to
David Allen

LOL! For that price he could weld a whole van in place of the old one, and never have to turn the welder on! 8^)

Bill Putney

I had 2 91 Ford Taurus's. They had only limited alignment ability and it was common to have to drill new holes in the strut tower and weld reinforcements to make certain alignment adjustments.

paints.

Reply to
Art Begun

Reply to
Richard

Had a 96 T&C with the towers rusting also. Even the power steering pump rusted out and starting leaking fluid. The whole undercarriage showed signs of extreme rusting but the exhaust system original and was still in excellent condition. I purchased new and always washed every week. Sounds like Chrysler had a problem in 96 but don't know for sure. Mine looked like new when I got rid of it last month with only 76k miles on the odometer. Just had too many problem. Good luck Bob

Reply to
BJ

Reply to
mic canic

I assume you are thru the body rust thru warranty period???

trying to get

Reply to
Art Begun