96 Caravan lights - weird problems

In my 1996 Caravan, I've noticed a strange, intermittent problem: sometimes, the front signal lights flicker between the high/low filament for no reason.... driving down the highway, the bright filament remains lit always. I guess this is the Canadian model's version of daytime running lights. In any case, sometimes, one or the other, and sometimes both, seem to switch back and forth, even alternating from side to side (but not in a regular way). When it happens, I can hear a slight clicking noise, which I assume is the turn signal flasher relay under the dashboard.

Anyone ever experienced this? Any ideas?

I saw another Caravan today that appeared to have the same problem.

snipped-for-privacy@storm.ca

Reply to
Morgan & Perry

Yep, the Daytime Running Light modules on these vans frequently fail in just this manner. The DRL functionality is built into the turn signal flasher under the dash. The easiest fix is to go to the dealer and get a replacement.

Be advised there is a new bulb out that solves the short bulb life problem in this application. At present it is available only from a GM dealer. Ask for the front park/turn/DRL bulb for an '04 Saturn Ion and you'll get a number 5702KA bulb, which will last a *good* deal longer than any other in the park/turn/DRL lamps on your van.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern