96 LHS Noise

I have a high mileage 96 LHS that is making a whirring noise. The noise is independent of the engine and occurs when driving at city and highway speeds. If I slip the transmission into neutral and coast the whirring sound stays the same. The faster I drive the louder it becomes but the pitch seems to stay the same. Any ideas?

Reply to
Scooter

Stick your head out the window and look up. It sounds like you're being followed by a helicopter.

If it's not that, you may have a piece of trim or a splash guard loose. Maybe something is scraping one of your tires.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

I considered the idea of something rubbing on the tires and checked it. It is very similar to that type of noise but more distinct. Could it be CV joints? Could it be transmission related? Tranny fluid smells ok and looks ok.

Reply to
Scooter

Reply to
philthy

Differential?

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Maybe there's something hanging on one of the drive shafts. I've had that happen before.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

What general area does it seem to be coming from? Front or back, or one side or the other?

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

Without more description, I concur it might be a bad hub assembly/wheel bearing.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

If the PITCH doesn't change with speed, its not anything rotational in the driveline. I agree with a fluttering piece of trim or weatherstripping. Check the grille area to see if everything is tight.

Reply to
Steve