96 Plymouth Grand Voyager...

I have a 96 Plymouth Grand Voyager which up until a month ago was working fine. Since that time I have had the CHIME alarm come on and stay on for 4 Mins. This is the alarm that comes on when you leave your keys in the ignition or open your door with the keys in the ignition or when you leave your lights on when you open the door or leave the door ajar when you start to drive. I have had it to the dealer but they could not find out what is causing it. They checked all the switches on the doors and all where working fine. They thought that maybe the body control module might have built up a static charge. They unplugged it and still no go. They suggested me to change out the bcm and maybe that might be the problem. If that is not the problem then I can not return the bcm because it is an electronic part and therefore it stays mine.This part is rather expensive and would like some help if possible trying to find the cause before I do that. This chime alarm is starting to drive me crazy when I have to listen to it for four mins....everytime I start the van.

This alarm comes on when I start the van and wait for about 10 secs or put the van into drive it comes on immediately. If you have any ideas or suggestions on what I can do then please e-mail me at snipped-for-privacy@eastlink.ca or leave a post here.....Thanks for all your help...Tom.

Reply to
Tom B

Thanks for that info..The technician did not use a DRB scanner on it. I will go back and see if we can see if an error code is on when the chime is sounding. I can reproduce the fault everytime I start the van so that is no problem. What does the engine temperature critical mean as well as the vehicle high speed and how the chime relates to them?? Is there any way to test the BCM..? Any idea what models and years I could look for that are interchangeable with the BCM in case I have to look in a recycling yard...Thanks for your help in this matter

Reply to
Tom B

Engine temp critical - with a slow coolant temp increase if coolant 250F is reached, single chime is sounded. If rise continues to 275F, four minute continuous chime sounds. (Possible hint here???)

Engine temp rapid temp rise, (ie coolant system rupture - rapid loss of coolant) once temp is over 239F, if temp rises another 40F in 30 seconds or less, 4 minute continuous chime sounds.

In both cases, if it is working correctly, the engine temp warning light should be on.

Also there are two continuous chime levels, it may help to know which it is.

50 chimes per minutes (about 1 per second) or 180 per minute (3 per second).

Sorry, for speed, the OEM manual I have mentions only "The chime system provides the driver with warning chimes for ......... high speed warning, ....... Certainly the speed/distance signal is used for several warnings, turn signal on after 1mi(1.6km), door/liftgate ajar over 2mph(5kph), auto door lock 16mph signal. It just seems to elude to a fact that at some predetermined speed, the chime will sound to warn you of such.

Sorry I can't comment on BCM test, if it is not telling the DRB it is failing a self test, then it's the mechanics best guess. As for interchangability, I also can not comment on that. No experience with those items.

Reply to
Mike Martin