96 seabring

I just bought a used 96 seabring last july. I?ve replaced the entire engine and valve system ( A $300 job) and it ran perfectly for nearly two months. Three days ago I went out and it just stalled. It started sputtering like it was out of gas (but it wasn?t I just filled it the day before) then as I kept accelerating it just went slower and slower, until it finally gave out. I tried for about 45 mins to restart with nothing. This includes putting it in N and stepping on the gas with nothing. I called a tow and by the time I got it to my house it started again, with no problems....what gives?

Reply to
dantzijean

A couple possibilities since you seem to think it was fuel starved: Dirty fuel filter (not likely if you had not experienced problems when accelerating to highway speeds previously)? Fuel pump just starting to go bad (my personal guess of these three)? Intermittent ASD relay?

Other possible causes are a defective crank or cam position sensors, engine computer, intermittent/poor electrical grounds, or a defective ignition system.

If it happens again, you need to determine which of the 3 things required for ignition (fuel/air mixture, compression, and spark) that is not present then troubleshoot further from there. Your vehicle also has an OBDII computer and you can read the diagnostic code if the check engine light was/is lit by turning your ignition key on-off-on-off-on (turn to on but not start three times and leave on).

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman