96 Stratus Oil Leak-Engine or Transmission

My 96 Stratus(2.0, 5spd, 85K miles) sprung a leak yesterday. I come home from work, leave around an hour later and notice a black puddle about a foot in diameter under the engine, more on the transmission side. The oil was thick and black. I just changed the motor oil in the past week and that is still light in color. So I think I probably have a transmission leak due to the color. I checked the other fluids(Brake and Power Steering) and they were OK.

So I take it to my trusty mechanic(really I trust this guy) and he says he's never seen one of these transmissions leak. He mentioned the rear engine seal.

Any thoughts, experiences with such leaks would be appreciated.

If he's right and it is the rear engine seal, what's a reasonable cost to replace?

Reply to
JL

If it is engine oil it could be running down from the top and making it look like its the rear engine oil seal. The cam sensor o-ring or the head gasket may be the problem, Has the head gasket been updated with the new Multi-Layer Steel one yet?

I would ask the technician to do an oil dye test to be 100% sure its the rear seal.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

When the headgasket started to leak on my 1998 Stratus with the 2.4L, that was where it began. It was the left-rear corner. The MLS gasket was used as the replacment.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

I already took care of the headgasket--under warranty thank you very much Chrysler.

Reply to
JL