96 T&C starter (3.8L)

While I have complained about some T&C components failing early in life, the starter is clearly not on that list. Now, at 170K, the starter fails to start every so often and it's getting worse. I know what it is: it's the starter solenoid. I hear it clunk into place when I turn the key but, alas, the big old contacts just ain't what they used to be. So one has to try again and again until getting lucky. This will eventually become terminal.

What I have done in other cars is simply swap out either the solenoid or the solenoid contacts. Why not? The starter is an extremely low duty cycle item that rides along dormant for about 98% of the time. When it is called upon to do it's thing, the big electrical stress item is that poor solenoid. With a new one, the electrical stuff in the starter (stator and rotor windings, brushes) and the bearings and bendix drive will go on and on.

Someone, please make my day and tell me the solenoid is a replacement item in this starter!

Ken

Reply to
KWS

More precisely, the solenoid *contacts*.

Better: The solenoid *contacts* are replaceable items. See here:

Daniel J. Stern

Sorry, the solenoid is not replaceable.

The contacts inside however, *are* replaceable. The contacts are 29 and 39 cents apiece, and are available here;

You want the 3401 and 3404 part numbers

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Thanks Daniel and aarcuda69062. This is even better than I thought. I used the term "solenoid" as the last couple of repairs I have done like this (over many years) had the contacts sealed inside the solenoid housing.

Of course, if I don't have to change the electromagnet itself (which, aside from the contacts, should last about 100 years), then I am certainly a happy camper.

There is always a downside....probably have to pull the engine to get to the starter.

Again...thanks for the help.

Ken

Reply to
KWS

Nope. The 3.3 / 3.8 starters are very easy to remove.

My pleasure.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Better than that, all you need are the two solenoid contacts (about $8 at an alternator repair house) and possibly the plunger contact disk (about the same price). Plus an hour of your time to R&R the starter and replace the contacts, although some folks replace the contacts with the starter still installed in the vehicle.

Reply to
Steve

You're making my day here, Steve. Thanks.

Ken

Reply to
KWS

Usually, anyway. Sometimes one runs into the steel bolt/aluminum housing thing, but it's usually nothing a little muscle and the proper tools can't solve.

Reply to
Walter

Fortunately, Walter, this type of corrosive activity is considerably less here in the SF Bay area. I just bought a second hand car for one of my daughters and had to change the catalytic converter. The car came from "back East" and I forgot how nasty rust can be, having been spoiled by relatively corrosion free climates for the past 25 years.

Reply to
KWS

You're right ... I hadn't considered that some places aren't the NorthEast part of the country where rust and corrosion rules. It does get pretty nasty sometimes, though... the rust, I mean.

Reply to
Walter