97 caravan Evap Purge Solenoid problem.

Hello,

The purge solenoid is not functioning. I removed the solenoid and connect to a 12v supply and it seems to work fine. With it in the van and the engine running for at least 10 minutes I measure

12V on the Wht/Blk lead and 10 ohms on the Pink/Blk lead. With the engine off I still measure 10 ohms on the Pink/Blk lead, which runs to the computer and from what I've read is supposed to be cycled. Why is it still measuring 10 Ohms with the engine off? Shouldn't it be an open circuit with the engine off? I played with the wiring harness while measuring 10 ohms and the engine off and this measurement did not change. When I disconnected the main cables from the computer it went to an open circuit. Is the short in the computer????

Does 10 Ohms sound right in any situation?

Or do I have a problem with the computer?

Thanks for any input.

Rick Keener

Reply to
Richard A Keener

mic canic

OK I wasn't clear how I made the measurement. I have an analog meter, the negative probe was on a good chassis ground and the positive probe on the Pink/Blk wire at the Evap Solenoid connector. So, the circuit was through the chassis then the computer, then the wire to the connector. This is how I was measuring the 10 ohms. I and was getting this 10 ohms whether the engine was turned on and running for 10 minutes or off. It seems like with the engine off I should get an open circuit..... Shouldn't I get an open circuit????

Rick

Reply to
Richard A Keener