97 Chrysler LHS ... where does this spring go ? (pic)

I just finished replacing my lower intake manifold to fix a P0305 code (#5 cylinder misfire) per advice from this group. Seems to have fixed it, I started it and let it run a few minutes and no CEL. Unfortunately I smell a little gas so I might have to take the upper off again and use new o-rings for the fuel injectors.

I had this part leftover, a spring. Here's a photo:

I found it in the rear area where the throttle bodies and the rod which connects them are.

Anyome know where it goes ?

Thanks, Buddy

PS If you're a Patsy Cline fan, use the above url but get the file crazy.mp3 It's my wife doing one of her classics

Reply to
buddy

Hi Buddy...

Not a mechanic, not even close - so I don't know how to describe it properly to you, but I recognize it.

It's part of a set of three, all similar.

One on each side of the throttle bodies... if you only have one spring left over that means you have at least one in it's place. Make both sides the same :)

If both are there, then the third is on the outside of the same shaft so to speak, on the driver's side, but on the outside of the throttle body.

Pretty sure you're gonna get a better answer, but I'll check in the morning and if by some chance there isn't I'll take a pic of mine and give you a link to it.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Certainly looks like a torsion spring for the throttle body to me too.

Hey Buddy - I couldn't figure out what you meant about 'Crazy' (didn't hear it or see a link from that URL), but - yes - I am a Patsy Cline fan and already have it along with an awesome Patsy's "Greatest Hits" album I downloaded off of iTunes.

Bill Putney

Hi...

I owe Buddy an apology... my old memory just ain't what it used to be. Those three are all quite different! :(

Try to make up for it; took a picture of mine (94 3.5) this morning, and here it is so that he can see the difference for himself and make doubly sure that he has all three in the right place :)

A big picture (150k) so that he can view it full size and scroll around to see pretty good detail.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Thanks so much! Very clear - it goes on outside of driver-side TB. The two on the TB's (inside) never came off.

Ken Weitzel wrote:

Reply to
buddy

I meant to replace filenames. So the full link is:

My wife's from another county and her family misses her so we record songs at home to send to her folks. She has a noticeable accent when speaking, but for some reason it 'disappears' when she sings.

There are a couple more there, from-this-moment.mp3 and unchained-melody.mp3

Buddy

Reply to
buddy

As I said I smelled a little gas and so I thought it was because I didn't replace the injector o-rings when I did the lower manifold gasket. Well I got new o-rings and put them on. But when I got everything back together and started the car, it was spraying gas all over! I was in the driver seat so I couldn't see exactly where it was coming from, just the general area of the fuel rails.

So I took the upper manifold off (I'm getting faster at it) and checked everything again. Injectors fully in. Rails bolted on straight and snug. Upper manifold ditto. Put together, started car, same thing. Saw gas spraying. Little pools of gas below the rails, along whole length.

Here's some "info".

  1. To get the injectors out I twisted them with pliers, then was able to pull them straight out. Did I break something by twisting instead of just straight up? They are in straight and snug, all lower and upper o-rings seated well.

  1. The metal line in front, with the relief valve in it, moves up/down a little - is it supposed to do this?

Thank you for any guidance.

Buddy

Reply to
buddy

Might it be worth having a helper, while you are looking at the engine with the hood up, to start the engine just long enough for you to see exactly where the leak is?

Bill Putney