'97 grand cherokee stalling

I have a very unusual probel w/my 97 grand cherokee ltd (6 cyl). seems it has stumped the chrysler/jeep dealer I finally brought it for service. HAd another mech try to diagnose and fix and after an induction coil, ign coil, idle air valve and crank sensor replacement, seems the problem still exists. The problem:Car will stall when at idle and difficult if not impossible to restart. leave it alone for a few minutes it will restart. engine could be cold or at operating temp. while driving it has also stalled, but most times will "restart" enroute. Chrysler has had the car for several weeks now and they are still scratching their heads. Thier best best guess is that ther was carbon build up at the air idle valve. They cleaned it, I drove it for a day and then it starts to stall again. I had a multiple missfire code when it initially happened and you could tell that when trying to restart it was miss firing. Recently the check engine light came on and error code 21 (oxygen sensor voltage?) flashed. was on for three days , when I brought it back to Chyrsler, the check engine light no longer lit, don't know if the code was still there? Anyway...anybody got any ideas? Chrysler sure doesn't!

Reply to
don

loose wiring harness from the computer ?

Reply to
Yabahoobs

They replaced an induction coil? That's a pretty neat trick, considering it doesn't even have one.

You're not really clear as to who threw all the parts at it. Has the dealer duplicated the problem? You said you had a misfire code. What exactly was the code? The O2 fault could contribute to a performance problem, but will not cause a hard/no start.

Reply to
bllsht

The parts were put in by a non-dealer mech that I have been using for years. The induction coil, actually I believe it's called the pick up coil in the distributor, my bad. The dealer has gotten it to stall by running it for 8 hours (at idle) in the shop, but has not gotten any error codes. That's why the initially had it for almost 2 weeks. They told me to take the vehicle back and drive it for the weekend(no co-pilot attached) they wanted to see if by cleaning the air idle of carbon that would fix the problem. obviously it didn't and today is thursday, they still haven't figured it out(brought it back in Saturday). I saw another thread on this newsgroup about crank/cam sensors and sounds somewaht similar to my problem. My original mech (afer throwning in all the parts) said it was the PCM. Before I go that route, I thought Chrysler would be able to pinpoint the exact problem, rather than throwing in a PCM.

bllsht wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
don