'97 T&C problems

I have three problems re my 1997 T&C LXI that I'd appreciate help with (any or all):

(1) I had an occasion where the windows were down during a rainstorm. Since that time the interior lights do not come on when the doors are opened. Any one of them DOES work if turned on manually. I'd appreciate tips as to the cause and how to fix it.

(2) Also (not related to the above storm), the LEDs in my various AC/heater/vent buttons all flash off and on. On sustained driving, however, they eventually quit flashing and become normal.

(3) The intermittent portion of my windshield wipers control has gone amuck! For example, it will do three one right after the other, rest awhile, three more, rest, etc. It's not always the same number. Also, the other day they wouldn't turn off. I eventually figured out something that usually would get them off, but they'd stop exactly where they were at the time.

Mileage is about 125,000.

Thanks,

Richard Huggins

Reply to
Richard Huggins

Can't help you here.

Nor here.

I had the same symptoms in my 96GV and it was the wiper motor itself that was bad. If I recall correctly, the park circuitry is integral with the wiper motor unit.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

(2) Flashing LEDs means your self-diagnostics have determined that you have a heat/AC problem.....most likely low on refrigerant.

(3) Most likely the multi-function stalk on the steering column. The one that does the wipers/turn signals/etc. Most common problem, though, is wipers coming on with the switch off.....

Steve

Reply to
Steve

How much of a rainstorm? My guess would be the instrument panel dimmer roller switch got wet and has corroded. It's next to the drivers side rear view mirror remote control just left of the steering column. See if you can effect any change by rolling this switch through its entire range of motion several times. The interior lighting isn't switched with door switches like in the good old days.

Yeah, it's in diagnostic mode. Can't recall what to press and hold to get it out of that.

As mentioned previously, multifunction stalk. Also check electrical grounds, every one you can find. Might also be the BCM acting up. I've gone through three of those.

Reply to
M. Blomquist

The reason for these lights flashing is that you had a dead battery or power disconnected for too long and the HVAC control module loses its calibration settings. The way the vehicle let you know this is by making the LED'S blink and drive you crazy until this is taking care of. ---I can help you avoid the Strait Jacket For Calibration of the HVAC control module. With engine at normal operating temperature and running (A/C off): 1) Set BLOWER motor on HIGH 2) Set MODE position to PANEL 3) Open all OUTLETS that air comes out from. 4) Set Temperatures to COLD 5) Press WASH and REAR WIPER button (at the same time) for 5 seconds and release... If the module has completed its test successfully the only LED light that will flash is for the REAR wiper, Push this for a moment and all will be well. -J

Reply to
me!