98 caravan 2.4L 4cylinder reliability

I just got a 98 caravan w/2.4L 4cyl. with 38K miles. I've read that older 2.4L 4cyl. sometimes needed head gasket replacement until a new head gasket design came out. Does anyone know when the new design came out? My van was built in Jan 98.

Reply to
jcs444dixmyth

Yours has it. The updated one

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Hmmm. I had understood that the new MLS gasket did not enter production until Feb of 1999. The gasket in my 1998 Stratus with a 2.4 started to leak oil from the left rear corner at 53,000 miles. I was told that was the classic symptom of 2.4 headgasket failure. My Stratus was assembled in June 1998. Did vans get the new gasket earlier?

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

You are right, I stand corrected. The MLS gasket was released for production, as a running change, in the

1999 model year for all models except FJ.
Reply to
maxpower

Hopefully, the previous owner had the headgasket changed. With the low mileage that your van has, the problem has yet to develop if the original is still there. I don't know if there is a way to determine if the gasket has been changed or not. If it was done at a dealer, it will probably show up if they look up your VIN in the database.

When I had mine done, the repair was around $750. That included re-surfacing the head. The original factory warranty was expired, but I had purchased a third party service agreement. It covered most of the cost, except some of the supplies. A special spray on sealer is needed for the MLS gasket, and they would not cover that.

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

Reply to