98 Caravan Tensioner Install

We just had the belt pop off our 98 Dodge Caravan. Following the leads from many posts I replease the belt tensioner. This has fixed the problem and silenced a lot of squeeks. I just wanted to pass along a few tips.

The bolt for the tensioner that holds it to the bracket is behind the tensioner and some suggest going from beneath the vehicle with long extensions and a floppy joint. Instead go from the driver side with a 15mm socket. You end up hugging the engine holding the tensioner with the left hand and your right arm wrapped around the engine -- but it is a straight shot.

Also the tensioner is spring loaded, so once installed simple twist with a

15mm open-end wrench using the bolt on the face of it to release tension momentarily to slip on the belt.

Thanks,

Dave.

Reply to
David Krausse