98 Concorde speedo, odo, gone.

We have a 98 concorde 3.2l that has lost its speedo, odometer lights up but doesn't count. It will also not shift past first gear. Something about an input and output speed sensors? TIA.

Reply to
parklights

Yes - output speed sensor. It's actually stuck in second, not first, but understandably hard to tell (except when starting off from a stop).

If you have more time than money, you might want to pull the existing one out and see if metal dust has accumulated on it. Mine went out a few weeks ago, and there was quite a coating. Since I already had the new one, and it cost under $20, I went a head and put it in. I would almost bet that if I had cleaned the metal dust off of it and put it back in, the old one would have worked. (The type of sensor detects presence and absence of metal to generate its pulses from the park cog - it can't tell the difference between a gear tooth and a heavy coating of metal dust, so it probably never sensed the absence of metal.)

Bill Putney