'98 Concorde won't start / dies while driving

I have a 1998 Chrysler Concorde LX, 2.7l, with under 88,000 miles. My wife drives it 90% of the time and she keeps telling me of problems starting and dying while driving. I have experienced it several times myself, or I wouldn't believe her. It seems to die more when under 1/4 tank of fuel, but has a hard time starting at various fuel levels, temperatures (ambient and engine), and when restarting after it dies. Many times after it dies, it will kick and buck upon restart. Sometimes it will die when driving at any speed, and other times when stopping. I have taken it to numerous mechanics who can find nothing wrong. The plugs and pcv valve have been replaced. I replaced the auto shutoff and fuel pump relays which seemed to help for about

3 months, then it started again. Also, it has been using alot of oil (4-5 quarts every 3k miles), but no sludge buildup, as it is burning it. Please help!
Reply to
Joe Brown

My 1999 Intrepid (2.7L) would stall when I got down to half a tank. I tried the relays, also. Didn't fix it. Dealer couldn't figure anything out. Local shop checked everything topside, then went to the tank. The fuel module (pump, filter, etc.) would not hold pressure. They replaced the module, haven't had a problem since. This may or may not be your problem.

Larry Behold Beware Believe

Reply to
Larry Crites

Has the check engine lite ever come on? Did the technician find any fault codes in the past?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

The only time it came on, the fault code was for an O2 sensor. I replaced it (it was fouled out) and the light never came on again after reset. Techs have never found any fault codes and all checked out fine while computer was hooked up on test drives. Could O2 sensors cause it to die if fouled by contamination from excessive oil burn?

Reply to
Joe Brown

I tend to agree that a new fuel pump will fix it based on several posts of similar symptoms on the 300M forums - seems the OP always posts back that ultimately a new fuel pump/sender unit fixed it.

Bill Putney

If the fuel pump was at fault the car would not just shut off with out notice, it would slowly die out or loose power. Once the pump quits there is still some fuel pressure in the lines, as the injectors open, the fuel pressure gets lower and lower until the engine just stalls out. A crank or cam sensor for instance would just shut the engine down with out any warning, just like turning off a lite. I have seen several problems as the one you are experiencing and have not been able to actually verify it but 9 out of 10 times it is the fuel pump. Diagnosing the symptoms, replacing the pump and never come back. The fuel pump will not set a fault code either but a good technician with a good diagnostic scanner may be able to see that the adaptive fuel memory is in the high + numbers indicating that it is running lean