98 Grand Caravan trans

This 3.0 has the 4speed automatic with 103K miles, and hasnt given me any problems till now. I leave the house and about a mile down the road, it goes into a false neutral. Trans still does not pull no matter what gear I selected, but engine revs. Just happen to be stuck in the middle of an intersection and was fortunate to have some volunteers that pushed it off to the side of the road while I called for a friend to come pick me up. After sitting an hour, I started it up again and the trans worked just fine till I got nearly home (bout 1 mile) and was able to coast into the driveway. I am tech savvy as I have nearly 30 exp. in japanese motorcycle industry as a technician, and have rebuilt engines and standard trans on personal vehicles, including 68 vette roadster. Having no intricate knowledge of automatics and being a single unemployed woman and have had bad experiences with car dealerships in the past, I am reluctant to take it to a dealer only to hear I need the trans completely changed. Has anyone heard of this problem and could guide me as to what I maybe possibly looking at for repairs.

Reply to
jenn

Have you checked ATF level, color and smell?

Regards,

Ralf

Reply to
Ralf Ballis

I forgot to mention that fluid level was fine and didnt smell burned and looked clean. My father, who I inherited this vehicle from, took very good care with maintenance.

jenn wrote:

Reply to
jenn

You need to have a scanner plugged into the trans computer to see if there are any codes. This has to be done at the dealership. Many problems with this trans are due to sensors failing. Unfortunately, the sensors do not appear to be very well designed. I have 2 vans with the same transmission as yours and I replaced the input speed sensor on one at 100K miles (and the trans had been rebuilt, with new sensors, at around 60K) and on the other, I had the trans rebuilt last year, with new sensors, and one has already failed and had to be replaced, with maybe 8000 miles on it. Fortunately I have a scanner that will read codes from my vans. The sensors are not expensive, by the way.

it's been observed on other forums that the original brass sensors did not fail as often as the plastic replacements that Chrysler has come out with. The theory is poor heat conduction in the newer sensor bodies.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I appreciate the responses I got, especially the one about the sensors. After researching older posts on the subject, I was seriously considering a sensor failure. I learned also during my research that using the proper trans fluid was detrimental for the operation. Taking the chance that changing the filter and fluid may help my situation, and couldnt hurt, I went to a dealership and paid the 8.00 per quart (4) for the ATF+4 and inquired the cost and availability of speed sensor. I was told that there were 2, a high and low speed sensor and both were in stock at approximately 20.00 ea. Being a stocked item, kinda figures that it must be common needed part. The fluid and filter change wasnt difficult even for a girl who went thru major lumbar surgery 2 weeks prior. Well, I first test drove the vehicle in a 10 mile area with a friend following me. All seemed well and took another test drive with a friend following for 60 miles one way and still no problems have arisen. I drove the 60 miles back home and it still seems to be fine. I will be traveling a 400 mile trip this weekend to Houston for a model photoshoot after being notified I was voted Miss December for Covergirl. Even thru all the glamour, I still enjoy the getting my hands dirty and the challenges of diagnostics and repair. I appreciate all the help and advice. BTW, should anyone have the resistance values for these sensors would be greatly appreciative. Although and intermittent problem is difficult to analyze with multi tester, shoudl the problem reoccur, I could do a resistance value ck immediately after another failure. At the time of the failure, a check engine soon light came on, however after enough starts and driving and the problem not reoccurring, the light has gone out. Question: does a sensor failure leave a code that is retrievable with the switch on/off procedure?

Jennifer

jenn wrote:

Reply to
jenn