98 Plymouth Neon - leaking tail lights

I recently bought a used 1998 Plymouth Neon from a private party. The other day, I happened to glance at the back seat and noticed that the back floor wells were flooded. After doing some investigating, I came to the conclusion that the tail lights were leaking (It had been raining.) and that the water was flowing down into the spare tire well, then underneath the back seat, and into the floor wells. I did some searching on the Internet, and it seems that this problem isn't exactly uncommon for these cars.

Here are my questions/concerns: Is this something I can fix myself, or should I leave it to the dealer? I have to admit I'm not very good at stuff like this, but I don't want to shell out the bucks if I don't have to. Is it likely that just the seals/gaskets will need to be replaced, or the whole tail light assembly? Does anyone have any idea how much this might end up costing? Unfortunately, both sides seem to be leaking.

hurtdn

True. There was at least one TSB for it.

No idea on cost. It might pay you to spend the $25 to subscribe to Alldata-DIY and pull down the service bulletin so you can see for yourself what it involves.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Before you install the lamp assembly run a Bead of gasket sealer, (silicone) to the back of the foam gasket of the lamp. Run it around the studs and then install the lamp, There is only one TSB that I know of from the trunk area NO: 23-55-98 SUBJECT: Water Leak In Left Side Of Trunk DATE: Nov. 13, 1998

NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO BELVIDERE VEHICLES BUILT BETWEEN JUNE 26,

1998 (MDH 0626XX) AND AUGUST 21, 1998 (MDH 0821XX). BELVIDERE VEHICLES CAN BE IDENTIFIED BY A "D" IN THE ELEVENTH POSITION OF THE VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (VIN).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION: A water leak in the left side of the trunk below the body exhauster and/or water pooled in the spare tire well. This is caused by a gap between the wheel house outer panel and the left body side aperture panel where the fascia is bolted through the weld flanges.

DIAGNOSIS: Open the trunk and pull back the carpet covering the left wheelhouse inner panel. Look for water below the left side body exhauster or signs of moisture in the carpet. Water may also be pooled in the spare tire well. If water is found in either of the two areas described, perform the Repair Procedure.

Reply to
maxpower