'98 Plymouth Neon - Service engine light

Hi:

I have a '98 Ply Neon with 14,000 mile on it. It's only driven about

4 times a week for a half hour or so. Hense the super low mileage. Yesterday when I started the car the 'Service engine light' came on and its staying on. What are the most common reasons for this. Any of them cheap fixes by chance? I don't have any money right now for repairs and am afraid to drive the car in case it breaks down :(

Thanks for feedback.

Reply to
Phil Marshall

Easiest thing is to get the computer to tell you the codes. Cycle the key: "on-off-on-off-on" pretty quick (complete it in under 5 seconds) there is no need to actually start the engine, just put the key to the "on / run" position (where everything lights up)

The engine light will flash code numbers. The first and second digit of the same code are seperated by a short pause and different codes are seperated by a long pause. It is in hex so:

9 flashes = 9 10 = A 11=B 12=C 13=D 14=E 15=F

"- - - - - - - - - - . - - - - . . . - - . - - - -" would read codes A4 and

24
Reply to
Bill 2

Thanks for the tip! I did as you mentioned and came up with the following-

12 and 43 and 55. I then did a Google to decribe the fault codes and found this-

12-Direct battery to PCM was disconected within the last 50 key-on cycles.

43- Multiple/ single cyclinder misfire

55- End of error message.

Brief history- Car has the DOHC engine and Auto trans. When it was less than a year old there were problems with misfire. The 'Computer' was reprogramed and new plugs installed under warrenty. The car also has a LONG HISTORY of transmission problem. "Fixed" twice under warrenty, and is acting up still. The car will stay in gear too long (high rev) before upshifting. Downshifts on occation will 'SLAM.' ( the trans probs are intermittent) I notice that error code 12 refers to the PCM unit, which I read controls the torque converter. Is this all related? I'm quite confused...

Reply to
Phil Marshall

Reply to
mic canic

That could be a lot of stuff, all sensors will make this light come on, mine came on once, I disconected the battery to reset it & it came back on again, especially if it was a rainy day. after a check up, they found out it was the Catalytic converter. Then it came back on about 50000 Miles later, this time it was the O2 sensor. So I am not sure if there are common reasons for this because it could be anything. Have your mechanic to plug it to the analyser & it will show you which sensor is trigging the engine light. with your low mileage, it could be the O2 sensor (I think this is a problem on the Neon).

Reply to
Jocker

He did a Malfunction indicator lamp test and it gave the code for a misfire.

Reply to
Bill 2

I'd suspect something in the distributor/camshaft sensor - that's what usually gives you misfires/oddball timing.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Reply to
Mike Behnke