98 T&C, air conditioning

It's not just me is it? There is always something breaking, in need of repair on a frequent basis. My T&C ac was charged up recently because it wasn't blowing cold anymore and so they added die to it so they could check for leaks. Well they found the leak at the front evaporator unit. I was quoted $1100.00 for repair. I guess the whole dash board has to come out.Shit, let the rugrats cook for that price! Well the wife wasn't keen on that. :)Anyway I'm going to get some other estimates but is this price in line? Whens Honda coming out with an all wheel drive Odysay? Rob

Reply to
Rob Cole

I replaced my evaporator 2 weeks ago with the help of my two teenage sons. Having done it once now, I imagine it would take about 3 or 4 hours to get it out and another

3 or 4 to put it back in. I think the book says 10 hours. I would be happy to send you pictures of the whole ordeal. They would cut down your time a lot because the manual does not do a good job of explaining the procedure.

You are correct in your assumption that just about the entire dash, all the way to the firewall has to come out. Then you have to disassemble the whole air handling unit.

I purchased a new evaporator for $150. Expansion valve and dryer were about $50 each. A new (factory) compressor with clutch was $330. Recharge was $85. Totaled to a little under $700 plus my time.

Paul

PS This is the sec> It's not just me is it? There is always something breaking, in need of

Reply to
Paul Layman

The new Toyota Sienna has all wheel drive available. However, it is back-ordered, and dealers where I live (lower NY) are quoting up to $800.- OVER sticker price.

Mort> It's not just me is it? There is always something breaking, in need of

Reply to
Morton Linder

Reply to
mic canic