99 Caravan reddish brown spots

I have a 99 Caravan with a v6 engine. When I moved it recently to shovel the snow in my driveway, I noticed several quarter size reddish brown spots in the snow underneath where the engine had been.

Does anyone have a clue where this might be coming from? From the color, I would guess that it might be transmission fluid.

Thanks, Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Check the fluid levels and see if anything is very low. Sometimes this can be enough to tell you what might be going on.

Alternatively, place a piece of cardboard under the front of the van and let it sit overnight. Note the location of any fluid you find dripped onto the cardboard. This will give you a clue as to where the fluid is coming from. You can sort it out from there what your next move should be.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

It could also be power steering fluid as well if it is red. (at least my '96 came from the factory with what appears to be ATF in the PS reservoir. You will likely need to crawl underneath and take a look, or pay someone to do this for you to find the source of the leak.

Good luck.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Reply to
mic canic

I finally got a chance to crawl under the van and the leak was coming from what looked like a small gap where the transmission pan bolts on. Is it an easy job to remove the pan and reseal it?

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Looks like you're correct. It turned out to be the trans lines to the radiator. Thanks all...

Reply to
Jonathan