99 Caravan replace sway bar bushing

Hi,

I need to replace the front and rear sway bar bushings on my 99 GCS.

Could someone please list the procedure for replacing the front and rear sway bar bushings. Anything I should look out for?

I would like to know if you have to jack up the vehicle to relieve any pressure points before removing the sway bar. The rear sway bar looks fairly easy to take off without jacking up the rear end of vehicle.

Thanks. Michael

Reply to
miket

I'll let others fill in the specifics on that vehicle, but generally, when working with sway bar bushings, whether its easier to jack it up or not to gain access to the bushing bracket bolts, just make sure both sides are even with each other - it's the difference in side-to-side level that creates the pressures that make it hard to work with. IOW, if you jack it up, jack it up the same amount at any given point in the process to keep the stresses out of the sway bar; if you don't jack it up, have it on level ground (i.e., not twisted front-to-rear).

Bill Putney

Michael,

Replacement of the bushings is a simple proceedure, assuming that's what you really mean. You are referring to the rubber bushings that the bar rides in near the middle of the bar, right?

All you need to do is raise the vehicle slightly to make room for you to slide underneath. Keeping the van fairly level is preferred, but don't raise the wheels of the ground.

There is one bolt on each of the "straps" and if I remember it's 13mm or so. Take off the bolts and drop the straps. Remove the old bushings at the split, wipe off the bar, and pop on the new ones. Replace the bolts and you're done. About 30 minutes per end, jacking included.

The old bushings are probably just a but harder for the exposure to the elements and slightly rounded out due to wear, but otherwise will look fine. They are deceptive.

You may be thinking about lubricating the bar before putting on the new bushings, but don't. The lubricant will attract dirt and cause the new bushings to wear out faster.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Snyder

Ok, thanks everyone for the replies. Those are the instructions I needed.

Mike

Reply to
miket