99 Cirrus Refuses to Start on (Very) Rainy Days

My 99 Cirrus has been pretty reliable since I bought it new. This year, however, I have had to replace one of the speed sensors (went into limp mode) and the crankcase position sensor [we are at 119,000km] . This fall, whenever it is cool and very rainy it refuses to start or dies abruptly at the first or second stop sign (within 1 km of home). No codes, of course. No problems once it starts to warm up.

If I plug a consumer code reader into the diagnostic port it comes up clean. Two dealers get the same after an extensive diagnostic session. Guess their service bay cannot reproduce the conditions of a rain-soaked driveway. Oh, there is gas in the tank...

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

greg latiak

Reply to
Greg Latiak

Just one thought right now, what engine does the Cirrus have?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

The 2.5l v6. It is the LXI package...

Reply to
Greg Latiak

Reply to
philthy

Sure they can produce the rain soaked driveway, I call it a garden hose and a very useful tool for simulating rainy days and overnight drivability problems. You may have a distributor cap that is allowing moisture to accumulate over nite causing this.. But also, There is a TSB out on your vehicle that may pertain to your problem. It requires replacing the EGR valve with an updated one. It would have nothing to do with wetness but will cause problem in the morning or long crank times when the engine is extremely hot and setting for awhile. TSB18-020-01

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

you don't say what engine u have but if u have a 4 cy. i would check for a engine wiring harness rubbed thru on the bac side of the head and if u have a

2.5 v6 then the dist . would be the th> > My 99 Cirrus has been pretty reliable since I bought it new. This year,
Reply to
philthy