99 Intrepid Door Locks

I am getting ready to rip into the passenger door and fix a problem with the power door lock. Before I start, I want to run this by the brains of this news group.

The problem I have is the door will not unlock, but does lock when the button is pushed. During the lock/unlock selections, a loud "screeching" sound comes from the door. Interesting, I have a neighbor with a Neon that appears to have the same problem as I do, and a friend at work that has an Intrepid with the same issue, so I am assuming this may be a chronic problem, and if it is, I know someone reading this must have come across this before. So, in my quest for making my repair time more efficient, I am looking for experience readers to enlighten me what is broke. It sure would make my repair time quicker as I can have the parts ready to go, and an attack plan of exactly what I am going to replace.

Thanks all.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

See my posts in rec.autos.makers.chrysler between Jan 31 to Feb 4,

2004.

I have a 2000 300M, and initially my rear driver-side door couldn't be unlocked or opened for a few days. Someone mentioned a child safety lock may have inadvertently been engaged, but that was no the case. It became operational on it's own a few days later, then one day during it's normal auto-locking behavior it buzzed real loud and I practically jumped out of my skin when it happened. Took it to a dealer and got it replaced:

Here is an exerpt:

Subject: Re: Chrysler 300M: Can't open rear passenger door Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 21:57:18 -0500 From: MoPar Man Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Called the dealer to make sure they had the part(s).

Old part is in the box (I asked for it).

Was asked if I had extended waranty (nope). I asked how much that cost (when car was new) - he sez between $2k and $3k.

Cost of part: $139.70 ($105 USD) Labor: $123 ($92 USD)

This is part # 04574023-AE

The latch and solenoid is one (compact) unit. 4-pin connector.

3 separate clevices for connecting 3 control rods (1 for lock button, 1 for door handle, and the other for ???). Next time I have a problem I'll take this old one apart and see what's going on inside.
Reply to
MoPar Man

I definitely agree with MoPar man - the screeching is a dead giveaway that it is a bad lock motor - common failure on the LH's, and it is built into the latch. Remove door panel, unhook linkages and the small electrical connector at the latch. The latch is held in by the three large phillips flat-head screws that you see in the end of the door.

M> Dan wrote:

Reply to
Bill Putney

Thanks guys, I will proceed to get the part and start the repair. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Thanks much.

Reply to
Dan