99 Intrepid Fuel Gauge Woes

I have a 99 Intrepid ES with 47,000 miles on it. Recently, I've noticed the fuel gauge needle acting erratically after I've fueled the car. It hovers for a while and slowly moves up to 'full'. Tonight, while the car was in motion, the needle fell to the 'E', the alarm sounded and then the needle rebounded to the proper fuel level. It did this repeatedly while I was driving. I checked the overhead info fuel display and it didn't vary. I was wondering if the fuel gauge and the overhead display are connected to the same sensor.

Has anyone else had a similar problem or can give me any tips before I head in to see the sabre-toothed service advisor at my 5 star dealership? These things make me nervous and I like to know what I'm in for before I sign for repairs.

Many Thanks in Advance

Reply to
Arthur Alspector

Sounds like a bad sender. Unfortunately, you need to drop the tank to change it. Change the fuel pump and filter while you're at it (also inside the tank).

cheers,

Chris Mauritz

He's sabre-toothed? Take it as an omen. If it's out of warranty, find a good independent shop, you'll probably save a bundle.

--Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Reply to