'99 Intrepid trunk release problem

I have a '99 Intrepid that is serving me well but I have one nagging problem. I can't get the remote trunk release to work from inside the car, nor from the remote switch on the key fob. I have checked the power on both sides of the switch on the dash - OK. I've disconnected the plug going to the latch. It has 3 wires going to it. The center wire is always live, the two outside wires don't recieve power with the trunk release button pushed or not pushed. Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem may be? I did read somewhere that there is a trunk release solonoid that may cause problems.

Reply to
Randy

Tan/black wire 10 volts or more, black wire ground, I believe the other is for a security alarm. if you have those and the acuator doesnt work, replace the acuator assembly. Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

The solid black wire is a ground and I do get 12 volts on the tan/black wire. The 12 volts is always there...... when the trunk release button is or is not pushed. Should the third wire not be energized when the trunk release button is pushed??? Does the ignition have to be on to opent he trunk? I assume that the transmission has to be in Park prior to opening the trunk but I'm wandering if there is some other special configuration in order for the trunk release to work!

Reply to
Randy

The dash switch sends a signal to the BCM.

BK/WT wire going to the solenoid is the wire straight from the BCM to actuate the solenoid. It is one of the outside wires on the connector. It should light up when the dash button is pushed.

Since you say the BK/WT wire does not get power when you push the remote or dash button, then either the BCM is not putting out voltage to that wire, or there is a break in the connection from the BCM or in that BK/WT wire.

The BK wire - the other outside wire - is the ground for the solenoid coil.

See if you get some reasonable coil resistance reading across the two terminals on the solenoid.

Based on what you posted (no voltage on either outside wire when button pushed), it sounds like the problem is not the solenoid.

Bill Putney

Igntion can be on or off for trunk lid solenoid to work. Must be in park (or neutral will also work I think - but Park, definitely).

Middle wire is the ajar signal - don't worry about that. The BK/WT wire is the solenoid voltage signal from the BCM to the solenoid - and from what you posted previously, appears to be the problem - see my opther post).

Bill Putney

While waiting on a reply I put 12 volts to the third "mysterious" wire terminal on the trunk release. When I did this the latch opens fine. This leads me to believe that the problem is somewhere else. When I push the trunk release button I have to be able to energize that third terminal. ................. any ideas on where the problem may be?

Reply to
Randy

Your right Bill.

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
maxpower

Yes - exactly as I told you from what you already had posted - the problem is *not* in the solenoid. The signal is either not coming out of the BCM or their is a break in the connection between the BCM output and the solenoid connector.

Did you get the part that I said that the signal should be sent if the tranny is in nuetral with or without the ignition on?

Bill Putney

I got 18.3 Ohms resistance across the solenoid terminals. I suppose my next step is to try and find a broken wire somewhere???????

Reply to
Randy

Should I be starting to look for a disconnected wire at the BCM? Where is it? Are there numbers or any other sort of ID on the wires coming out of it?

Reply to
Randy

BCM is in the Junction Block - that's the fuse panel at the driver's left foot kick panel. It has 4 connectors: grey, black, white, blue.. That BK/WT wire is in the grey connector. It's pin no. 1, so of course should be at the end of the connector.

Before doing anything else, you might try pulling the fuse for the BCM for a few minutes to reset it. Sometimes problems like this are fixed by doing that - too easy, I know, but worth a try. Fuse No. 19 in the Power Distribution Center - under the hood on driver's side towards front.

Bill Putney

Yes, I've tried it in Park and Neutral with the ignition on and off, neither works. Where can I find the BCM output. I suppose I may as well start from that end and work my way to the back end!

Reply to
Randy

Reply to
tim bur

I gave up for today! My back is sore from trying to crawl in under the dash to find that @#$$# BCM and the grey plug. Surely Chrylser could have made it a little easier to get at! I've finally managed to unplug the grey plug and tomorrow I will see if I have continuity from the BCM end of the Bk/Wt wire to the trunk end of the same wire. I'd like to see if the BCM terminal is actually energizing but I think the only way to actually see anything in there would be to dismantle half of the car! Thanks for all the help guys.

Reply to
Randy

Did you try pulling fuse 19 in the engine compartment to reset the BCM? I would do that before doing anymore troubleshooting - as I said before, it may or may not fix the problem, but for the small effort to do it, it's certainly worth a try - and it just might work.

Bill Putney

Bill, I couldn't identify Fuse No. 19 in the Pwr Dist Ctr so I left them all out for several minutes! According to the owner's manual No.

19 fuse is actually located on the fuse panel inside the car. Just to clarify how the circuit works........... when I depress the trunk release button the signal is sent from the button to the BCM and then the BCM energizes the trunk release if all the perameters are met, i.e., trans in N or P????? If this is correct then I should be able tie in a short lead off the Blk/W wire coming from the BCM to verify that the BCM is actually transmitting the signal. I suppose that before I do this I'll have to crawl back under the dash and try to manipulate the grey plug back in place..... I'm not looking forward to it!
Reply to
Randy

I apologize - you are right - it's #19 in the Junction Block.

Correct.

You can stick a straight pin thru the insulation of the wire to touch with the meter lead.

Bill Putney

Hi Randy, I had this exact same problem with my 99 Intrepid. At first it was intermittent so I really couldn't do anything about it. Finally one time when I was getting service the trunk release was not working at the dealer while they were checking me in. The dealer looked at it and eventually found the cause was a bad wire in the wiring harness to the trunk. Unfortunately I don't know/remember where the bad spot was.

I recall that it took them a while to diagnose/fix. Apparently they burned out the BCM in the process. (The trunk release signal comes from the BCM). Then they obtained a "remanufactured" BCM to replace and that was either bad or they burned it out too. Finally they obtained a new BCM and everything worked fine with the repair, except for the alarm which I had to return for them to activate. Fortunately for me this was all done under warranty and I think they even paid for a rental car as it took a few days to wait for parts and fix while the car was torn open to get to the wires.

On my car the trunk release only works in PARK, and not in NEUTRAL. It works with the ignition on or off.

So the best advice I can tell you is to get a wiring diagram, check for continuity at various places, and be sure to disconnect power to protect the BCM while you're working on the wires. I haven't seen any TSBs on this.

Reply to
Greg Houston

Good post, Greg!

Randy - Greg is right - the trunk release does on work in Park (not neutral) - I just went out and confirmed that. That's strike 2 for me in this thread! But we have narrowed it down to BCm or the wire, and it is encouraging to know that Greg had the same problem and it was the wire and not the BCM (initially anyway).

Bill Putney