99 T&C CV joint/bushing/shock replacement?

Hi, all,

Just have my 99 (purchased 98) T&C serviced by replacing all spark plugs, it has 97,000 on it. Man, it feels like a new engine--fast and quiet. It kind of brought back the sweet memory when I got it new. So, I am thinking of making it new again.

Here's some left over "problems" that needs to be solved. The front steering wheel makes some kind of cracking sound while I am turning the wheel especially while it is at slow speed. I believe the steering lubrication/mechanism is getting old after almost 100,000 miles of use. What should I look at and replace at this moment? CV joint? Also the suspension is pretty rough when running a pot hole or bump. This is very obvious every time I pull out this car from driveway to the road. That unsmooth surface seems putting a lot of pressure to the suspension. Should I look at/replace the shock/bushing? Same thing happened on the rear.

What is the reasonable lifespan of shocks? What kind of damage $ am I looking at? Is there anyone here experienced replacing the shocks after high mileage?

Thank you for any suggestion.

Reply to
harry

OK - but how's the rear steering wheel? (sorry) :)

That should be a bad CV joint. Determine which side and replace that half shaft. Chances are you'll find the boot split on the bad one, which will save you further diagnosis.

Can't be sure, but that could be as simple as sway bar bushings or end links. You'd be surprised how much racket and frame vibes bad sway bar components can make - I thought my Concorde's engine cradle was falling out - replaced sway bar bushings and all is well. I'd certainly do that before going to the expense of struts if they don't need it. It's possible you need struts *and* sway bar bushings, but like I say, why replace the struts if they don't need it.

Bill Putney