A/C on a 2000 Cherokee

I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee with about 120,000 miles. The Air Conditioning has been acting strange lately. It will work for about

10-20 minutes and then it will start to blow luke warm. If I turn off the A/C for about 10 minutes, it will start back up for 10-20 more minutes. I took it in for service but I was told that they were not able to find a problem with the A/C. They emptied the AC then and re-filled it. They checked for leaks, charged the system, blah blah blah.

Anyone have any ideas of something to check out?

Thanks very much!

Reply to
the_covenant

Make sure that all the cooling fans are operating as they should, engine driven and electric.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

I will do that. I believe the fan is running as I can here it shut off and turn on. The temperature gauge is hovering at around 210 degrees which is right in the middle of the gauge. Do you think the coolant is maybe low or needs to be changed? Or could it be much more serious (aka expensive) such as the compressor/condensor?

Thanks for the response!

Reply to
the_covenant

Cherokees are notorious for evaporator leaks, but that doesn't exactly fit your "cools for ten minutes and then blows warm" symptom.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

The engine coolant would not affect the a.c. operation. That is different than the refrigerant that your a.c. uses to cool the passenger compartment. He was asking about the engine cooling fans because they are involved in proper a.c. operation (as well as engine cooling).

Are the engine cooling fans coming on and staying on when the a.c. is on

- I think they are supposed to - but maybe someone else can verify that.

Sounds like you need a more technically qualified shop for this troubleshooting. Maybe there's moisture in the system, which can form ice crystals clogging up the orifice periodically. That would mean they would need to pump the system down and re-charge it - possibly needs a new receiver/dryer (due to moisture overload). But in case that's not it, like I said, you might want to have a different shop look at it since the first shop apparently isn't suggesting anything to even check for or try.

Expect to spend some more money in the process.

I'm not an a.c. expert, so don't take what I said as gospel. Maybe aarcuda or someone else can confirm or correct anything I said above.

Bill Putney

Thanks Bill. I guess I am going to have to suck it up and take the Jeep to another shop. I was hoping someone would tell me thast it was simply the thermostat or the engine was too hot or something along those lines. The engine temperature is why I brought up the coolant. It seems the AC has been acting funny ever since I had a blown coolant hose. It was replaced and the coolant was replenished (but more water than coolant).

Anyone else have any comments? I'd like to bring a little bit of knowledge with me when I take the Jeep to a new shop. I would hate to get riped off. My normal mechanic, whom I trust not to rip me off, is the one who hasn't been able to fix the problem.

Thanks ahead of time!

Reply to
wasntme

Reply to