A/C system replacement

Group:

I have a 2000 grand caravan which had the A/C compressor lock up and shred the serpentine belt (Stank too!). So, I got a pulled unit out of the boneyard to have a free pulley to put with the new belt. Looking down the line, I really would like to have the A/C for summer. Local mechanic says I'm looking at a complete system replacement at about $2K. Anyone have experience doing an /c restoration after compressor lockup? The body & drivetrain are in great shape.

Randy

Reply to
m00s3man

That seems high. Were any other A/C system components damaged when the compressor seized? I would think that you could replace the compressor, pull a vaccum on the system and then recharge.

Did the mechanic mention that there were other parts needing replacement? Evaporator replacement can be costly as it is labor intensive.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

Reply to
philthy

Reply to
The Bathtub Admiral

I agree. It's too high, and you also don't need it.

I just got through with a locked up Nippondenso compressor on my LHS and it was clean as a whistle inside. I tore the system completely apart, replaced a bunch of stuff, but it didn't seem like it needed it.

Last week, R134A was still only $10 a pound. It had gone up, but...from $5 to $10.

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
tom&kel