A different look: Re: Huge study about safety can be misinterpreted by SUV drivers

Sorry folks, the thread was getting off topic and I don't care to read offensive remarks from one poster to another.

I have tried to make sense of all the postings on SUV safety. The people who are best qualified to discuss the saftey factor of any vehicle are police, insurance adjusters, emergency workers, crash test dummies etc. I'm not one of those. I doubt most of the posters are either. I have read some postings and there are some valid and consistent points. Size does matter.

A different look at vehicle safety analogy: Guns don't kill people. People kill people.

Vehicles are no different. They can be weapons if not operated safely and properly. The subcompact Firefly is just as safe as a Hummer (when there's no one behind the wheel).

I don't drive an SUV, I don't tailgate, I drive at a safe speed. If we all changed our way of thinking we would realize it is us, the driver, that determines the safety of a vehicle.

Some common sense tips to keep the roads safer:

- Keep your vehicle tuned and inspected regularly

- Practice safe driving habits. Consult a driver safety handbook. Even a driver with 20 years experience can learn something new.

- Yield to emergency workers. There are far too many people who don't pull over and stop to make way for emergency vehicles. The real bad ones use the clear lane, vacated by the good ones, as a passing lane. Get the plate and report to police.

- NEVER NEVER NEVER use a cellphone while in motion. If it rings, ignore it. When it's safe, you can return the call. Even in a parking lot, I have had a few close calls by 5 m.p.h. drivers on a cell phone. I saw a guy on a cellphone run into a pole.

- Report bad drivers to local police. They will do something.

There are a lot of websites full of driver safety tips. Just do a search on "driver safety"

Phil

Reply to
Phil Breau

Sorry but this is not a different look. This argument of yours has already been covered rather extensively in the thread.

I don't know what your intending to gain by posting this to just the Chrysler newsgroup when the original thread was crossposted to so many different groups. Many people from those other groups have contributed good points on the issue.

But it is quite obvious that we all aren't going to change our way of thinking. The fact that you even propose to lecture us on your enlightened point of view shows that you are aware that a lot of other people out there have a different way of thinking than you do. You are incredibly naieve if you think that any one person can get everyone out there to change their way of thinking. Nobody in history, not even Jesus himself, has ever been able to do that.

So, since getting everyone to "change their way of thinking to realize it is us, the driver, that determines the safety of a vehicle" is pretty much proven by history to be impossible, why are you wasting our time with this rediculous rehash of what has already been beaten to death in the thread?

So, after boring us with old news, you end with a mealy-mouthed directive to do the obvious.

Phil you are a coward, pure and simple. You post in a single newsgroup to a thread that exists in multiple newsgroups because you are afraid of everyone else in the newsgroups who has already answered you from jumping your ass. You open a new thread on an existing issue instead of adding to the existing thread thus not giving people the choice of using the threading features of their newsreaders. You put a bunch of stuff in the post that nobody in their right mind is going to argue against, because it's all information that's totally obvious. And finally after all that you suggest nothing whatsoever that is new, or that is different than what has already been suggested in the thread, or that is at all controversial.

If you think your so right, then post to the existing thread and let the others who have been contributing to it see it so they can subject your idea to peer review. If it survives that (which it won't) then go ahead and come around here and post it. Otherwise, get back in the existing thread where you belong.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Ted,

There is something you don't know, so lighten up a little before responding. the reason I posted to this group is because I have subscribed to the Chrysler group only. I have no interest in Ford, GM, or other groups. My main interest is Chrysler because that's all I drive. I'm not the news group expert you may think I may be. I basically learned to use Outlook Express, set up the server, download and subscribe to groups of interest. If there is a newsgroup for newcomers to newsgroups, I will perhaps learn how to post to multiple groups. No, I'm not a coward.

Since the SUV safety thread is extremely long, getting off topic, and full of condescending remarks, I didn't find it a pleasant read.

Now that I have started this thread, I would ask those of you who would like to respond, to do so with respect for others, including Ted. It stops here now!

Let me tell you about the coward I'm not. I don't have collision coverage on a 98 Cirrus. How many are brave enough to waive the collision? Before anyone responds by saying how stupid they think I am, I have never had an accident and in all my years of driving, I saved several thousand dollars in premiums. Collision will cover you in an at fault accident. Save the money, waive the collision, and drive carefully. Warning: This works for me. I don't guarantee it'll work for you. You have to decide.

I don't intend to gain anything. It won't make me rich. It wont make me a better person. But I believe posting to news groups is about sharing ideas or ask a question. Am I wrong? If so, I'm sorry - I'll check the newcomers group.

Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood

Reply to
Phil Breau