A604 Transmission - no reverse

On 1993 Imperial with 90,000 miles. When cool the transmission won't go into reverse. Forward is ok and no "limp in". Fluid/filter has been changed using Chrylser ATF+3.

Is this a rebuild situation or something simple? After several miles I have reverse and all is well. Only early on a cool morning there is no reverse. Very aggrevating!!!

Any opinions?

Please post or willhopp@bellsouth dot com (the dot is a "." in actual email address)

Reply to
One of the boys

73blazer

Hey, thanks for the post. It takes a few seconds for it to go into forward when cold but may take as long as 10 minutes to get it into reverse. I did find this morning that it stayed in 2nd (limp in) until I turned off the ignition and restarted the car. Then all is fine -- probably until in the morning. I just can't believe it is the seals -- but then again it may be. This happened at about 45000 miles and a fluic/filter change fixed it until now. Fluic change did not do the trick this time.

Thanks again,

wwh

Reply to
One of the boys

If it doesn't go into gear immediatly from park to drive, or park to reverse, then pump is probably bad. The only way to get to the pump is a remove and teardown.

You could have the trans codes' checked if you have a full OBDII reader, or most shops will do it for $30-60... My guess is, if it's a '93 A604 with 90,000mi, you've been lucky to make it that far, and are probably due for a teardown. Not to say they won't last past 90,000mi, but that is more the exception in that year than the norm...my '94 (Spirit)needed one at 88,000, then again at

160,000...I got away with a sensor change at 72,000, the codes got me that > Hey, thanks for the post. It takes a few seconds for it to go into
Reply to
73blazer

Thanks again for the input. You are probably right as with the reputation of these transmissions 90K is about it. What puzzles me is that I had the very same problem at around 45K miles and the filter/fluid change fixed it. That was over 2 years ago and this car is not used a lot. I don't have a code reader but will have that done at an independent shop. Where I live, it is a good idea to avoid the dealership here.

wwh

Reply to
One of the boys

Since it's temperature related it's probably hardened lips seals in the low/reverse clutch. The seals harden and shrink and will leak pressure when cold but will soften up when the fluid warms up and will then hold pressure. Aftermarket additives will often soften the seals enough to squeeze a few more miles out of the unit before overhaul becomes inevitable. John

Reply to
John Kunkel

Thanks John, I may pour in some "mouse milk" and see what it does. Don't think I have anything to loose by doing it.

wwh

Reply to
One of the boys

Before thinking the pump is bad, do a line pressure check. The test ports are located below the solenoid pack on the front of the unit. This will tell you if the pump is definately bad or a problem with your solenoid pack/valve housing.

Wink

93 Lebaron Conv. 3.0L
Reply to
MWinkle353