ABS Light on '95 Vision

The ABS light on my '95 Eagle Vision has come on several times in the two months since I owned this car. Each time, the next time I started the car, the light was only on for the normal couple of seconds after starting. I can't connect this with having used the breaks or anything like that.

I understand how ABS works, and even some of the elements that are parts of the system, but this is truly the first one I've owned or laid hands on. Since I've owned the car, it's been on my list of things to do to bleed the brakes because they do feel a little bit spongy, with more travel in the pedal before they engage than I'd like. This might be normal for this car, but it's not on my Chrysler Voyager, or any of the VW's I've owned.

What is this light likely to be trying to tell me?

Reply to
Bruce Baxter

Maybe it's trying to tell you that you're going to have to treat the brakes like regular non-ABS brakes and pump them on slippery surfaces.

Happened to me once: driving somebody else's vehicle that supposedly had ABS, but when I held the pedal down on a wet surface the vehicle just kept going.

MB

On 09/16/04 05:15 pm Bruce Baxter put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

Reply to
Minnie Bannister

Reply to
mic canic

I haven't had any other evidence that there is something wrong other than the light blinking on a couple of times. Since the car is relatively new to me, I am still sorting it out, and I think the thing to do to start with is to bleed the brakes and flush the lines out with some fresh fluid.

As I've scanned this group, I note the following things being mentioned.

- potential ABS computer issues that Chrysler has dealt with via a voluntary recall (they're sort of famous for this; particularly in the transmission area; see allpar.com)

- parking brake switch issues

- sensitivity to brake fluid levels that can cause the light to come on (based on these last two issues, is there anyone that can confirm that the ABS light functions not only to provide warnings with the ABS system, but the general braking system as well; there doesn't seem to be any other brake light)

- being familiar with Chrysler's flash codes, I checked this out and was greeted by the end of code 55. I'm not sure when they cut over to OBD II. My '94 Minivan did the flash code thing, and evidently this '95 does it to. I think OBD II came into play in '95 or '96, so this is a grey area.

Reply to
Bruce Baxter