ABS Pump

Mine is making that groanin sound when you brake. Shop says perfromance/safety of the ABS system is not compromised. But they say a new pump is $700.

Comments?

Reply to
Jim Polaski

Is this vehicle even a Chrysler?

My crystal ball shorted out last week I can no longer wave my hands over it and magically divine the model and year of anonymous vehicles on Usenet.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Sarcasm, right? 8^)

Bill Putney

Our friend Jim doesn't seem to have a history of posting to any automotive groups. Strangely, he didn't want this particular post to be archived by Deja (X-No-Archive: no) but puts no such specification on (most?) of his other posts. I guess he want's to keep it a secret that he has a chrysler vehicle - won't even tell us which one.

He does like posting to

comp.sys.mac.advocacy alt.music.polkas alt.support.crohns-colitis

Kinda strange assortment of newsgroups (but maybe standard for a Mac user).

Reply to
MoPar Man

Ply Voyager LE, V6 3.3

Reply to
Jim Polaski

And that matters how?

And what does being Mac/PC/Linux user have to do with anything?

Reply to
Jim Polaski

"...and magically divine the model AND YEAR of anonymous vehicles..."

I guess Mac users aren't used to reading _written_ instructions...

(Sorry I couldn't resist that one - perfect setup for it)

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Year of said vehicle would be very helpful. From lack of such one can only assume this is a '92 - '95 Voyager. Having had a '92 T&C which had the ABS pump I can make a link from memory. However that vehicle left my household when we bought the '96 T&C LXi which has a redesigned system without the ABS pump. My '92 made the noise but something in my memory says that was normal. Additionally something else in my memory says there was somewhat of a design change to this pump in '94 - '95 but that could also be supposition on my part. Afterall I haven't had that van for more than 7 years and it has been 11 years since I bought it, so the memory could be telling me things that are of no importance to me any longer. In summation of my extended reply here I can only say if one wants information from question(s) asked in this newsgroup, one MUST post complete information when asking the question(s).

Reply to
RPhillips47

Reply to
jdoe

1996 Voyager LE, not a T&C unless those were the same.
Reply to
Jim Polaski

Well, you're right, I didn't leave enough info. But it is a 1996 and didn't origionally make that sound. I'm not sure I like the sound even though the shop says it doesn't affect the ABS system and it works fine.

Thanks for trying to be helpful as opposed to a few of the other snippy sarcastic sorts that responded. As if what computer I choose to use makes any difference or the NG's I frequent.

Reply to
Jim Polaski

Those used the Teves Mark IV system for ABS. 1996 was the only year that system was used on the Chrysler minivans. In 1995 the minivans used the Bendix ABS-4 system and in 1997 the minivans got the Teves Mark 20 system.

How do you know the groaning sound heard when braking is coming from the ABS pump? Sounds like this are more associated with rotors/pads/drums/shoes, etc.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I know the sound pads/disk's make. The garage said the sound is from the ABS pump, not me. I've used them for 13 years and have no reason to doubt them.

Pads don't usually "Groan", they chatter, whine, sing or other things. When they told me of the ABS sound it was because I just had a new master cylinder put in as the old had failed and at same time had all the brakes checked, pads in front, drum in rear since it didn't make sense to have it in the shop again if there was a problem there.

However, they said the pump was $700. Is it? I don't know which is why I posted my question. It seems like we're straying a bit afield.

I hope that clarifies it some.

Reply to
Jim Polaski

Oh, well in that case - reread your original post, you didn't ask for comments from people as to whether or not $700 was an accurate price, you just asked for comments, period. I think that most respondents in the forum (me included) would have felt you wanted a second opinion on whether or not what the garage was telling you was accurate - meaning did you need to have the repair done at all, was what they were telling you acurate, etc.

I guess I don't understand your OP because the shop told you a) it's groaning and b) it's not a big deal. IN short, if you believe them on a) then you must believe them on b) and so why are you even bringing this up? But you ARE bringing this up so it would seem that you must not believe them on either a) or b) or both. So then why are you saying that this is "straying a bit afield"

What you need to do is decide what question your asking. If we assume that the garage is accurate and your pump is "groaning"; Are you asking us whether we recommend that you have it fixed? Or have you decided your going to get it fixed and your asking us if $700 is a fair price?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

There are some on-line sources for Chrysler parts and pricing. Check

Go to the "Parts" page and drill down with your vehicle info. and the part you're looking for. They list their price and the list price. Most likely your dealer is giving you list price for them to replace it.

Bill Putney

Ted, Sorry if I'm beinv confusing. I'm trying to determine if $700 is a fair price to reaplace the pump.

The van didn't always make this groaning sound either. It was fine from when I bought it in 1997 until earlier last year. I was also trying to determine if anyone else had this problem and what their service place said. ABS is sort of its own animal compared to reg brakes. I haven't done enough reading on it so I was hoping to stand on the shoulders of those who have been there before me.

Reply to
Jim Polaski