AC Compressor - Clutch engages then disengages

My AC compressor clutch went out a few weeks ago - the bearing in it completely disentigrated, lots of smoke, not much fun. Anyhow, I go to a local salvage yard and pick up an entire compressor with clutch (you can only buy the new clutch alone from the stealership, which costs as much as the entire clutch and compressor new from the local parts stores). My thought was to simply replace the clutch and end up having a spare compressor. Upon finishing the tortuous task of replacing the clutch, I discovered that the problem was the entire compressor. I evacuated the system at a local shop and replaced the compressor. I then refilled the system. Now, the compressor just cycles. The clutch engages for a minute or so, then disengages for a minute or two. What's going on??? Obviously I'm not an AC guy...but I live in the Sacramento Valley, so I NEED it to work!

-Psykobillys

Reply to
psykobillys

It could be overcharged or undercharged or the "new" compressor you got(likely without warranty)is bad. you need to take it to an "AC guy", or where people are trained in AC, like at the "stealership" as you call it. sometimes paying a little more for a professional to do the work is worth it.

Reply to
TNKev

I agree that it may be an overcharge/undercharge situation. Also, I did not see any mention of a vacuum being pulled on the system once the used compressor was installed. Sometimes a vacuum followed by a charge will solve the problem.

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

Sounds like the original compressor disintegrated; what steps were taken to clean the system of contamination, i.e., was the system flushed? Did you replace the receiver/drier? How was the oil level determined to be accurate/adequate? Was the system refilled with virgin refrigerant with out any additives? Since we have no idea what vehicle this is, what type of cooling fans is it equipped with, and are they functioning as they should? Did you plug off all hoses and fittings while you were changing out the second compressor? Was the system put under vacuum after the compressor change, before it was recharged? How many microns was it evacuated to, how long did it hold at XXXX microns? Low side pressure? High side pressure? Single AC system or dual AC system?

Reply to
aarcuda69062