Adhesive removal

Prior to having it painted, I removed the side mouldings from my 1990 Dodge Spirit. I am ready to put them back on. Before I can do that, I need to remove the old adhesive material from the mouldings.

Does 3M make a product, or is there any other easy way to remove the adhesive. I have tried "Goo Gone" and paint thinner. Neither does much to soften the adhesive.

Thanks,

Kirk Matheson

Reply to
Kirk Matheson

Naptha or use the Goo Gone that comes in a gel and let it sit for awhile.

Robert

Reply to
RM

I have generally had best success with acetone.

Reply to
Mike C1

The guy asked how to remove the old adhesive, not how to ruin his new paint job.

The correct tool for the job is a Stripe Remover Wheel chucked into a drill.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

No paint....He removed molding from the car and is cleaning the backside.

Reply to
RM

They removed the remaining adhesive on the car prior to painting, so I just need to remove what's left on the mouldings. I will try to located a Stripe Removal Tool.

Thanks,

Kirk Matheson

Reply to
Kirk Matheson

3M does indeed make a product called "adhesive remover," and it works, although it sometimes takes a while. Certainly less harsh than paint thinner. Unfortunately when using this product I've found that nothing works as well as your fingertips for removing the old adhesive from the surface, much like rolling off silicone, so keep some hand lotion, um, handy (or do what I do and have a big tub of mechanic's hand cleaner with lanolin in your garage.)

good luck,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Uh-huh...and acetone will *dissolve* the plastic mouldings.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

WD-40 works wonders on adhesive and won't hurt anything.

Phil

Reply to
phil