after cracked manifold replaced, high (redline) rpm on startup

I replaced my cracked exhaust manifold on my 99 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L (I-6). Note that this is really probably the 2nd time I try such a large job (at least I usually just deal with oil changes). This required the removal of the intake manifold also (because both intake and exhaust share the same gasket). I made sure I removed everything carefully. I disconnected 2 electrical connections and about 6 or so hoses, and of course the fuel line.

I re-tightent the bolts according to the sequence suggested (center bolts first and then the outer). I tried to turn the jeep on, and the engine just rev'ed really fast to redline. I immediately turned it off (the first time probably let it run for 5 seconds). I double and tripled checked the vacuum houses and all the connections I touched during the replacement of the exahust manifold. Note that I did not replace any hoses, except for a connector from the air intake that I broke while trying to remove it. I still need to check to make sure I torqued all the bolts to the correct amount. I tried turning it on about 6-8 more times to see if It would eventually come to a normal idle, but it never did. I actually did not let it run more than 1-2 seconds since every time I turned it on, it revs so fast, almost as if I were pressing on the accelator. I did checked the throttle, and its not stuck.

My question is if a leak in the gasket or a vacuum hose will cause this problem? Or what other things could I have screwed up while replacing the exhuast manifold? Any suggestions I can try would be very helpful.

-Juan

Reply to
juanjlopez

Scott

Left off the return spring?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Loosen the manifold bolts and wiggle the intake around until they seat. God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0 mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Somehow, you didn't put the throttle back together correctly. Your throttle *has* to be wide open to rev the engine like that. A closed throttle would not rev the engine, no matter what else you did.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I should have taken L.W's advice about loosening and wiggling the intake. Instead I decided to start checking each screw by tightening each one to make sure it was at the correct setting. Well, it turns out that the intake was not seated properly. There are 2 holes on each side of the intake that are suppose to line up with engine. One of them was not lined up and as I tighted the screw (since it was not torqued to the correct amount) it broke of a small pieace of the intake. In any case that meant that whole side was loose. So I began to tighten each bolt again, and when over them several times. Turned on the Jeep, and it was back to its normal idle speed :). I can live with the small chip on the intake, as it appears to be running ok. I plan on driving it on short drives, and re-check the bolts in a couple of days. Thanks for everyones suggestions.

Reply to
juanjlopez

Thanks for telling us what your solution was. We live and learn, by trial and error. God Bless America, Bill 0|||||| mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Thanks for the update. It is a bit common to have issues with that long intake.

Just FYI, the torquing should 'start' in the center and spiral out to the outside bolts, not alternate inside to outside. This will make it stay put better.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > I should have taken L.W's advice about loosening and wiggling the
Reply to
Mike Romain

Effectively bypassing the throttle and making it a non-throttle.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

In your worry about subtle things, never overlook the obvious. Did you re-connect the throttle return spring and throttle cable correctly?

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
philthy