aftermarket radio installation

I put a new radio in tonight in our 96 town and country using the wiring adapter to connect to the factory plugs. The radio played but only got good sound out of the left front speaker. I could use the balance and fader controls to isolate each speaker and did have sound from them but no volume. It has the infinity sound system. Is there something special I have to use for the radio wiring for it to be compatible with this system?

Reply to
jgcn

philthy

There are 2 types of infinity systems I don't know when the cutoff is for when they switched.

Both systems use a head that supplies line inputs to an amplifier. In the older and better system each speaker is individually amped with amps that are at each speaker. In the newer and crummier system there's a single amp that is under one of the seats I think and that feeds all speakers.

The system you installed is probably a combo head/amp and is supposed to be connected directly to the speakers.

In the older system you can use the existing wiring and remove all speakers and replace them with standard speakers.

In the newer system you can use the existing wiring and bypass the external amp.

You will need a factory service manual to figure out which system you have and what the wiring is.

Your adapter is undoubtedly for the NON-infinity Chrysler system

If you have the older infinity system your speakers and amps are good quality and if you just get a better head and make sure you have power to the speaker amps you will get good sound.

The Infinity systems are not easy to replace with a generic aftermarket system.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Thanks for the replies guys. I got it figured out, I had to figure out which wire powered the amp for the speakers. Found that it was the blue wire in the harness and after connecting the remote wire on the radio to it all works great. Thanks again.

Reply to
G-man