Air Bag Light on

I need to get my car inspected in New York State, but my Air Bag light is on. The new regulations force inspection shops to connect the car computer to a computer in Albany for emissions (or something like that). Will this Air Bag light issue cause my car to fail inspection? I would like to take care of the Air Bag light issue after inspection if possible. I know it sounds stupid, but money is the issue - as always. And my inspection runs out at the end of December.

Please advise,

Thanx,

-Tom

Reply to
Tom Rogers

And the vehicle in question is a.............?

Reply to
maxpower

Oops - 2005 Dodge Caravan

Sorry,

-Tom

Reply to
Tom Rogers

Yup, light on, you fail

Reply to
nirodac

---------------------------------

Isn't that kind of stuff still covered under your warranty (or is it a write-off?) Checked the connectors under the front passenger's seat to be sure it's not unplugged?

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

OBD-II inspections only check for emissions control system codes and readiness status. If you don't want to fix the airbag, I'd recommend disconnecting it entirely - a fault that could *cause* the bag to blow without an accident would ruin your day (and your shorts as well).

To keep the light off, you'll need to connect a resistor of appropriate resistance in place of the airbag to fool the comp into thinking the bag is still in place.

-Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Szafran

...or you'll need to remove the bulb from the "AIRBAG" light.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Is this vehicle still within 3/36? or was it involved in an accident?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
philthy

Over warranty - now on Ext warranty - 53k miles - no accident.

-Tom

Reply to
Tom Rogers

I'd never *sell* the car in that condition. I was talking about getting it to pass inspection if they actually tested the airbag controller, *not* selling the car. One could always disconnect the resistor before sale. And I've sold several cars and have always disclosed far more than was obvious to the casual buyer, so I wouldn't lie about something like that.

No need to be a condescending prick based on conjecture.

-Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Szafran

Hey Tom, Don't unhook the lite or put a band-aid on it, take it in and have em look at it at the dealer. I have a seen a few clocksprings go bad on this van but other then that it has been a pretty good system. Depending on the service contract you have it may or may not be covered. But either way keep your receipts.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

There is no need to clear the fault because it will come back as soon as the key is turned on. This isnt an OBD2 fault. As soon as the system is repaired the lite will turn off as soon as the self test is done on key on.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
damnnickname

You maybe not, most people definitely. Why would someone disclose the air bag system is faulty when to do so would knock hundreds if not thousands off the sale price? There's lots worse that people regularly do not disclose on a used car sale.

Not at all my man. I was merely illustrating what could happen to you or anyone that tries that.

You may be honest enough to disclose this, but I have my doubts since your advocating cheating the inspectors, and I fail to see what the difference is between the state inspectors and a purchaser. And disclosure AFTER the sale is complete is quite different than before the price is agreed on.

But most people would not disclose, and it is only the threat of retaliation as a result of their actions killing someone, that will give them pause.

I would also point out that it is likely that anyone intelligent enough to take the moral high ground could figure out the resistor trick on their own, while it is likely that the criminal element who would defeat a safety device and not disclose, is almost certainly not going to be smart enough to figure this out. No need for you to help them.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Nah, it's more that I don't presonally *like* being forced to have airbombs in my car. IMHO, people should, for example, have the choice to remove them and install a proper 5-point restraint system if they so desire. They shouldn't need to get a little note from their doctor to send to Big Mommy Nhtsa who *might* give them permission to disconnect their air bombs. Thus, I'm giving info on how to disconnect things. Just another small way of spitting on the Nanny State.

-Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Szafran

Reply to
philthy

I have said before in this forum that a 5 point is the way to go.

If they are too stupid to figure out how to disconnect them by themselves, then they -need- a note from their doctor to send to Big Mommy NHTSA

If you had given instructions on how to properly disconnect them - by putting in a switch, clearly marked, that says they are on or off - that would have accomplished the stated goal of "spitting on the nanny state" without creating a hazard.

The fact that you didn't and instead gave instructions on how to do it in such a way as to create a hazard, shows that all this Nanny State stuff is a load of bullcrap. You really don't care about the Nanny State at all, all you care about is seeing as many airbags disconnected out there as possible.

People that really want the Nanny State to go away advocate for things that empower people to make choices for themselves. But you would rather see the 2nd and 3rd owners of cars with disabled airbags not have the choice of reconnecting those bags, you would rather they didn't know they were disconnected. Because you think that your airbagless way of things is superior to the NHTSA's requirement for airbags.

Basically your as bad as the Nanny State people - you just as much as they, want to take choice away from people. The only difference is that the Nanny people want to force everyone to have airbags, you by contrast want to force everyone to not have airbags.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Actually, putting in a switch is probably a superior way of doing this, I agree. Or at least attaching a plate that says "both airbags removed" to the dash in some very conspicuous place in a way that's difficult to remove (think VIN plate).

-Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Szafran

I'm glad to hear you say that, it gives me some hope that perhaps there are some Republicans out there who really won't support things that our current President is pushing - ie: wiretaps without warrants, holding people indefinitely without trial, etc.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Yes, but then they would notice that it never comes on, and not pass the inspection. (if they're doing their job)

Reply to
clemslay