Airbag double deployment?

I'm skeptical of this story, but I don't know much about airbag systems. Has anyone heard of this happening? Does it even make any sense?

------------------------- My brother was recently in a car accident and was lucky not to be hurt. I went with him when he took the car to the body shop and learned some valuable safety information. Just after we arrived, someone drove in a car, that was not badly damaged, however the air bags had deployed. The manager of the body shop informed the driver that you should NEVER drive a car after airbags have deployed, no matter how slight the damage to the car seems. He told us that many car airbags have 2 deployments, one fast and one slow. If your airbag had a slow deployment, the fast mechanism may still be "loaded" and could deploy without warning depending on the damage to your car.

It may seem obvious not to drive a damaged car with a deployed airbag however I thought this was a good safety learning about deployed bags in cars with minor damage.

------------------------

Reply to
Scott Ehardt

BULLSHIT. Airbags only have enough chemical to inflate once. This idiot has no idea what he is talking about. The deployment speed is calculated by the onboard computer instantaneously calculated by g=forces, impact speed and other criteria.

Reply to
High Density

Airbags can only deploy once. However, airbag control systems often contain capacitor with enough stored charge to deploy airbags ~1 minute after power goes out. I believe this is what the guy was talking about. Also, impact can cause miscalibration of the airbag control module, and it's technically possible for airbags to deploy some time after the impact - not right away.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

On Tue, 3 May 2005, it was written:

This is your brain on paint fumes, kids.

The manager of the body shop doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. Some late-model airbags are equipped to deploy at ONE of two different speeds, depending upon factors such as use/non-use of seatbelt, vehicle speed and weight of the seat occupant. That does not in any way mean that the airbags have "2 deployments" or that there's a separate "mechanism" that can still be "loaded". Once the airbag has deployed (at either speed), that's IT, it's done, forever and always.

I hope you picked a shop with a less ignorant manager for the final repair work.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

That sounds stupid. At that point you're no worse off than in a car with NO airbags, which I don't see as a problem. Is there some other danger caused by deployed bags?

Ditto.

Reply to
The Real Bev

Not sure about not driving after an accident, but we are using smart air bag systems now that will do just that,

Reply to
maxpower

Once they go off that's it, However if the vehicle is equipped with multistage air bags, the processor determines the severity of the impact and the proper level of deployment. The conventional air bags used a solid fuel pellet design, the new multistage air bags uses a canister with highly compressed gas. These air bags have 2 squibs and they can be timed to ignite at up to 3 different stages from what Im told. The timing depends on the severity of the impact. They are low, medium and full deployment.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
David Cole

Thats right, highly compressed gas

Reply to
maxpower

Hmmm, highly compressed gas and were expected to believe that the valve

I don't know Glenn you may be wrong on this one,there may be compressed gas in the pretensioner but I just looked at tech connect and put in '04 sebring

2.4 liter(just picked a car)and clicked service info>electrical>restraints and about halfway down the page found;

Deployed and Nondeployed Air Bags may or may not have live pyrotechnic material within the air bag inflator. Do not dispose of Driver and Passenger Airbags unless you are sure of complete deployment. Please refer to the Hazardous Substance Control System for Proper Disposal. Dispose of deployed air bags in a manner consistent with state, provincial, local, and federal regulations.

Reply to
TNKEV

maxpower

2005 Model. I just had the class on Passive restraint a few months ago
Reply to
maxpower

You're right, and "maxpower", bumbling ignoramus self-proclaimed "Chrysler Tech", is wrong.

As usual.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Hey lite bulb!!!, elaborate on that please, you tell us ok. What is a multistage air bag or a hybrid type? And how argon gas is used to inflate it. This should be fun.

Reply to
maxpower

They use a pressure sensor that would detect reduced gas pressure because of leaks The sensor is located in the cannister The ACM monitors the pressure sensor and if the pressure drops below 2400 psi the ACM sets a DTC and turns the warning lamp on. The only reason that the sodium azide is used for is to initate the burn (Trigger) to relaease the argon (yes 2400 PSI) compressed gas. Nothing last a lifetime, that is why you have warning lamps!!! Daniel Stern needs to go back to lite bulbs and stay away from the rest of the vehicle

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
mic canic

Me personnaly, I believe it was started by the insurance companies

Reply to
glenn beasley

This information may be helpful:

See page two

Sarge

Reply to
Sarge

very good article

Reply to
damnnickname

Hey LITE BULB did you read the good article that sarge posted? where did you go?

Reply to
maxpower