Airbags

2000 Dodge Intrepid. Will car still pass emissions in WI if there are no airbags?

I know it will pass the exhaust test, but they have thrown fits in the past for dummy lights staying emitted. My Airbags went off while drving down the interstate on the way to work... The dealer thinks that a stone might have kicked up and hit the sensor.

Thanks, Jeff P

Reply to
Jeffrae

Wow - that must've been a harrowing experience!

So what position were your hands in on the steering wheel when this happened? 8^)

(Sorry - I don't know the answer to your question.)

Bill Putney

I got news for you, no stone is going to make an air bag go off.......theres more to this story!!! And in my state they will not even get inside the vehicle if a warning lamp is on period.

A state inspection would fail that lite too

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Yes, if the vehicle -is- capable of passing the test. It's an emissions test, not a safety inspection.

Your 2000 Intrepid won't pass if the service engine soon light is on, the test station may also decline to perform a treadmill test on a 95 and older vehicle if the oil pressure warning light is on, if the brake warning light is on, if the coolant temperature light is on, if the brakes don't function properly, if there are visible oil leaks that result in pooling, if the engine is obviously overheating, etc. They might also decline performing a test if the airbag warning light is on and there is a reasonable suspicion that the airbag could deploy.

Was there any recent service work done immediately prior to this happening?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

A stone is probably very unlikely. I do recall however hearing of an almost new Dodge truck that had its airbag(s) deploy for no apparent reason. The dealer and Chrysler first tried to blame the owner (despite a new car and no damage), but eventually backed down and did repairs with strong local media pressure.

Reply to
Greg Houston

No....

Reply to
Jeffrae

Reply to
mic canic

They are in Britain.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

The only bad accident I had in my life was from an airbag deploying. It felt like I was hit with a bat, it left one side of my head bruised, neck pain, ringing in my ears, and a major headache that lasted about a month.

Reply to
Steve

Just curious, was your seat belt on and what did you hit?

Reply to
maxpower

Yes I always wear a seatbelt. I was driving straight through an intersection and a pizza driver turned in front of me. He didn't see me, the sun was causing a glare. I was travelling around 50KM/H at the time of impact.

Reply to
Steve

What do you think might have happened if the airbag hadn't gone off?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

off.......theres

It does have sensors....it is mounted in the ORC (occupant restraint controller)

Reply to
maxpower

The entire bus seat on a school bus is designed to act as a restraint with the very high back and padding. That said, every time there is an accident involving a school bus, there are generally injuries to the passengers.

Reply to
Carl Keehn