Alam goes off when using key to unlock door.

If this is not the correct forum to ask this question, please suggest a better one. Thanks!

I just bought a (pre-owned) 2006 Chrysler 300 Touring. A strange (I think) thing is happening: When I lock the car, the security system is armed (that's normal). When I unlock the car using the key in the driver's door, and then open the door, the alarm goes off. Since this car is equipped with a very "authoritative" horn, it is a bit embarrassing.

Is this a problem with my car? or am I overlooking something?

Thanks for any help and/or suggestions!

Reply to
John

John

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I already knew what I wanted when I went to Circuit City.

They call it a range booster but what it really does is extend your signal. You program it and plug it up to where the signal is weak and it extends the signal. It works really good

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
damnnickname

This "extender" is a simple repeater. It "relays" the signal in both directions between the low power client device and the only slightly higher power Access Point. These do work well when used for their designed purpose and provided there is adequate signal to noise ratio.

Regarding what Ted stated, there is indeed a maximum allowed WiFi Effective Isotropic Radiated Power of 4 Watts (36dBm) for an Omni antenna in the USA. By the way, this figure is way above what most residential/SOHO access points will emit. Most of these devices are more along the order of

100-200mW EIRP (some are less). But, the usual problem is not with the AP transmit power since it can usually be heard at the client device. The usual issue is with the other direction, the uplink (the RF link from the client to the AP) since the client device has much lower EIRP due to physical antenna design and need to operate on lower (typically battery) power.

Bob

Bob Shuman

Keep in mind you can only use 1 of these with your access point, if you try using multiple ones they will see each other's signals and attempt to repeat each other.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Keep in mind with a higher gain antenna at the base unit, the base unit antenna will be much more sensitive to the client device. Naturally the stronger radiated power the better, but a sensitive antenna will gather more signal and so it does in fact, help in both directions.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Thanks Ted. This one is doing a good job and one will do it

Glenn Beasley

Reply to
damnnickname

Ted,

Yes, what you say here is indeed true. Antenna gain works for both transmit and receive and for a typical SOHO AP omni antenna the gain is about 4-8dBi. This gain comes by effectively "squashing" the isotropic/spherical RF propagation pattern into something that more closely resembles a donut pattern. The only caution here is that gain in the vertical direction (between floors) in the house will not be the as much as horizontally (between rooms on the same floor).

But, this all does not matter much since the AP usually still has a higher transmit power output, so the forward (downlink) link budget provides for a higher received signal strength at he client. Assuming similar noise levels (since it is the signal to noise that really matters), and roughly the same receiver sensitivities (usually the AP has slightly better sensitivity), the uplink is still the usual limiting factor.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman