Americans Don't Love Trucks Anymore

A trailer on a Prius would do the job then you wouldn't have to feed the empty truck for 99% of it's use. Gas back at $2.00, dream on. It will be $5.00 soon. You'd better get used to it. May be wise to sell your excess trucks before their price crashes more.

Reply to
who

He should trade his Dummer for a Dumb (Smart) car.

Reply to
Some O

You've obiously been living in a different world than me.

Is this TRASH TALK relevant?

Nope I don't have a Toyota of any sort, just hate reading trash words!

Reply to
Some O

How well does that Prius do in axle deep mud? Does it do okay carrying an extra 1500# or so (plus the trailer)? What do those batteries cost to replace? Here's one you'll like: How much damage to the environment does the creation/transportation/etc. of those batteries cost?

The truck is empty approximately 15% of the miles it's driven.

4.5 miles each way to work and back during the week. The rest of the time, it's loaded.

Gas is heading back down. It's losing its lustre as a place for speculators to dump investment money. Might not make it back down to $2.00, but it could.

Reply to
scrape

Trash talk? Sounds 100% practical to me.

Reply to
scrape

That's what -they- think, but it's not true.

What's hammering the sales of ALL vehicles including trucks is simply put there's a surplus of vehicles out there. The Wall Street Journal just did an article on this a couple days ago. They have been looking at the sales and the scrap rate. The scrap rate has dropped and the sales have gone up during 2000-2007. The automakers have also been dumping new vehicles for years into the rental fleet sales as a way of keeping sales up.

What is reducing the scap rate is very simple (although WSJ didn't have that figured out) It is more and more cheaper to repair a newer car than buy a brand new one because new car prices have gone up so far. And, with people driving less due to gas prices, there's less wear on vehicles so they don't wear out so fast.

During the 90's the sales rate tracked the economy pretty closely. During the 2000's the automakers engaged in an orgy of discounting,

0% financing, rebates, employee pricing, and so on that kept sales up above what they should have been otherwise.

There are only a select few vehicle models that there are shortages of. For most vehicle models there's too many of them.

Once more, this isn't true. Demand for oil has continued to rise. It was originally thought that peak oil would be reached sometime in 2030. However, the Paris-based International Energy Agency is revising down it's predictions, see:

Some people in the industry feel that we have reached peak oil NOW. Keep in mind that we will NOT know when peak oil has been reached until AFTER production starts to fall.

I personally believe that we are on the cusp of seeing the last generation of gasoline burner vehicles being produced. I just sold a 24 year old car yesterday. It is rather eerie to realize that by the time I buy one of the brand new cars I'm seeing on the sales lots today, (ie: by the time it's price in the used market has fallen to where I would consider buying it) that people will be waxing nostalgic about this decade and the good old days when cars ran on real gasoline.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Either you misunderstood what I said or I'm misunderstanding you. My statement wasn't that gas is high right now due to supply/demand, but as it's a good place to invest money right now. The reasons that it's a great place to invest are starting to lessen. It's not going to collapse by the end of the weekend, but the economic factors that make it a best bet today aren't going to be as strong next week, etc.

Reply to
scrape

Are they factoring in that most of Iraq's oil is still in the ground, and it's easy to get?

That will only happen if people start using bicycles or walk or use mass transit. There is no viable alternative to gasoline or diesel-powered personal transit. Bio-sourced fuels require more energy inputs to produce and refine than they give back, no matter how much agri-business like ADM and the farm lobby is pushing it.

Electric vehicles will not be viable until more nuclear plants are built to generate the electricity needed to power them. Solar and wind power will not provide enough power to be a viable alternative to nuclear.

Reply to
MoPar Man

Reply to
<IYM>

Don't laugh.

A piece of uranium the size of a penny could supply the power needs of the average family house for 10 years. Throw in another penny to supply the power to charge the electric family cars overnight.

If it wasn't for our security and terrorism mania, in 10 years we'd all have small nuclear power reactors heating our homes and our back-yard in-ground pools instead of gas or oil-fired furnaces.

Reply to
MoPar Man

haha...well I think it's more than security and terrorism mania...It also the issue of nuclear waste. I for one know my neighbors...I can see them hiding a spend rod from their home reactor in a milk carton so they have the garbage man pick it up....They do it now hiding recyclables and grass clippings in with regular garbage which normally needs to be separated or charged for a special pick-up (at least around here)....Now the Mr. Fusion was great as it used a couple pieces of household garbage and there was no waste product! (I think he threw in a banana peel, and an empty beer can) I could stop at the end of my driveway every morning and fill up the car...Throw my lunch leftovers in at work to get me home.. heh :)

IYM

Reply to
<IYM>

Correct oil demand is increasing, in spite of dropping demand in the USA.

Peak oil is also based on the value of oil. With the recent much higher oil price it becomes economical to produce oil from higher cost fields. The oil companies have not upgraded their reserves to reflect oils much higher value. After all they don't want oil to be more plentiful, it's price may reverse.

Reply to
who
1.) There is currently no viable alternative to gasoline or diesel-powered transit.

2.) Bio-sourced fuels require more energy to produce and refine than they yield.

3.) Electric vehicles will not be viable until enough nuclear plants exist to power them.

4.) Solar and wind power are insufficient to be a viable alternative to nuclear. ____________________________________________________________________

Nuclear power: Safe, Clean, Cheap, Domestic, and Inexhaustible.

What are we waiting for?

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

/raises eyebrow

really? Go find yourself a five year old or ten year old toyota and compare it to a similar honda, mercedes, bmw, hyundai, nissan or even domestic make. It will look more outdated and flimsy than any of the others.

Nothing trashy about my statement. The point is, if you want a truck then this is the kind of thing one does. I take my Avalanche off road all the time and do haul a ton of crap for my rugrats when we go camping.

For a while, the AV was in the shop, while a little boo-boo got fixed. (My first time since '86.) I drove a rental Dodge Caliber four-banger. (thought is is a sub-compact I put up with it.)

Though it was okay getting 30+ MPG on the Caliber, I had a hard time (a) going grocery shopping and putting all away in the back, (b) going golfing with my two boys and trying to squeeze the three sets of golf clubs in the back, (c) going to the park because we couldn't even think of throwing the bikes in the back not to mention the baseball gear, cooler and picnic basket stuff.

IOTW, a sub-compact like the Caliber or Prius may make sense for joe city-dweller who only uses the car to commute to cubicle land, but it will never make sense for all of us.

Reply to
PerfectReign

We have a Dodge Caliber and it certainly has enough room for about 10 paper grocery sacks. Just came back from a trip with four people being very comfortable in the car, and getting 30mpg with the air running at 60mph.

Reply to
Count Floyd

"Count Floyd" wrote in message news:BJ4mQCBKg9HM-pn2-8ddSGrMQuZJ1@localhost...

30 mpg runing a measly 60 mph is nothing to brag about, especialy for a 4 banger in a sub compact.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I've used my car for years on home construction projects. Occasionally I pay the reasonable cost for a truck load of materials. Why feed and drive a clumsy truck just for a few real needs per year?

Reply to
who

Did I forget to mention the six suitcases full of a week's worth of clothes for those four people.

Reply to
Count Floyd

Personally, I'm happy to have a choice. I drive about 4.5 miles each way to work and about 1.25 miles to the grocery store. That's about the extent of my trips during the week. Weekends, I haul two to three full size dirt bikes, two to three people, gear for everyone and occasionally, camping gear.

Buying something smaller for the 50 miles or so I drive during the week - using about 3 gallons of gas would take decades to pay for itself.

I'm glad you live some place where you have the opportunity to get what works best for you.

If I've got a long trip where I don't need the truck, I rent a compact that easily pays for itself.

And, no, you can't borrow my truck.

Reply to
scrape

So true. I get that with my '95 Concorde carrying 4 people, plus luggage for 10 days, food and ski equipment at 60 to 70 mph.

Reply to
who