Antifreeze?

My book for my PT and Town & Country lists something like a G-02 type. But the Chrysler only sells a 3 year and 5 year without any such type ID. Just what is the recommended product at the Chrysler dealer?

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, it was written:

G-O5. You can get it at a well-stocked parts store.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

You miss my point. What stuff at the Chrysler dealer is G-O5 since their stuff does not carry that label?

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Reply to
jdoe

The Mopar 5/100 type should be the right stuff. You should see "MS6769" referenced somewhere on the container.

In the aftermarket, you will need to find it in Zerex brand - but make sure it has the G-05 reference. If it's Zerex brand and does not say G-05 on it (prominently on the front of the container), it's not the right type. Not every auto parts store carries it, but enough do that you should be able to find it. Some carry Zerex, but not every type that Zerex makes - so, again - look for the G-05.

Also, you can go to a Ford dealer and ask for their WSS-M97B51-A1. Be aware that, believe it or not, the color of what you get from Chrysler will be orange, from Ford will be yellow - same thing chemically - Ford just has theirs dyed yellow, Chrysler...orange. Go figure!

Bill Putney

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

Any will work - for a while. The OAT-type (DexCool?/Prestone Extended Life?) was supposed to be better than the green stuff - no phosphates and no silicates.

Back in the 80's, the Japanese mfgrs. (Toyota, Subaru, maybe Honda) sold there own antifreezes in the dealerships - claimed that you would have problems if you used regular American green stuff. People thought it was a gimmick at over $10 a gallon. However, the tubes in the Japanese radiators were very small, and they definitely would clog up with green antifreeze - American car radiator tubes were a lot fatter and weren't so badly affected by a small buildup. From hangin out on Subaru forums, and having owned one for several years, I can tell you that there actually was something to the Toyota/Subaru claims. If you used green antifreeze in your Subaru, you were guaranteed to need a new radiator by

150k miles.

People appear to have had some problems with the OAT type - some solders apparently don't hold up well, and there can be corrosion problems in the system. Then someone figured out that a little silicate will solve those problems, so the G-05 was developed. I don't know if there are other major chemical differences.

Here's an interesting article:

written by a Valvoline/Zerex guy for a trade magazine. Bill Putney (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my adddress with the letter 'x')

Reply to
Bill Putney

Because "any antifreeze" isn't the correct fluid. G-O5 is. Next stupid question?

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

And you would think Chrysler would make it easy to find G-O5 type anti-freeze, but noooo. They don't make any reference to it and the guys in the parts departments have no information on G-O5, just Chrysler part numbers for various anti-freeze products.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, it was written:

Why fart around asking for it from Chrysler? It's right on the shelf at most every auto parts outlet. Hell, even Canadian Tire has it!

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Why should they? It's the responsibility of the aftermarket parts manufacturers to determine compatibility with their products and your vehicle. It is not the factory's responsibility to produce a cross reference to everyone elses' part numbers.

If I buy a new burner for my electric stove that comes from FSP, I am certainly not going to find the FSP number out by calling Amana.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

But he would need to know the G-05 designation and that it's only available aftermarket from Zerex - otherwise, they're liable to sell him anything they have on the shelf that has "Chrysler" mentioned anywhere on the label (that's best case).

Bill Putney