Any comments on Dodge Charger V6?

I'm thinking about buying a Dodge Charger SE. Anyone here own one or heard anything about it? Most reviews I've found are one the Hemi-powered Charger, so there's not much info out there on the V6.

Reply to
ahr888

Not sure about the 6 but would like to know where the Daytona picks up 10 extra ponies from?

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

Just make sure it is the 3.5 and NOT the 2.7

Reply to
Art

Unlike the 3oo and Magnum, the 2.7 in NOT available on the Charger.

Art wrote:

Reply to
Dave

Probably just the freer (and louder) exhaust system on the Daytona. Geez, there's at least 50 more easy horsepower in the 5.7, so its no sweat to find 10 with the simplest of changes.

As for the v6- I've driven Magnums with both the 3.5 and the 2.7 v6 engines. AFAIK, the 2.7 can't be had in the Charger, and that's a good thing because its not up to the task. The 3.5 isn't a speedster in the Magnum, but its not a pig either. Its a good, nimble, relatively quick car with the 3.5. Of course I'd prefer a 5.7, but a week with the 3.5 definitely didn't leave me with a bad opinion of the combo.

Reply to
Steve

Really wouldn't bother with a six in either vehicle. The 3.5 doesn't do all that well in the 300M which I believe weighs even less.

I could never understand why car companies would even make a six for cars like Mustangs, Camaro, etc.

Reply to
NJ Vike

Because there's a demand.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Have you never heard the term "secretary's car"? Many people buy them for the style and lower insurance premiums. After all Ford is in the business to make money (not lately though).

Reply to
Dave

Spent a week with a rental Charger with the 3.5L. Actually not all that bad. No, it won't smoke the wheels like a R/T but it sure has acceptable power. Not sure what they did to it or either it's the fact it's a RWD, but it has more power than my 2002 Dodge Intrepid ES with the 3.5 and FWD. My Intrepid (company car) is due for replacement and will probably get a Charger with the 3.5. It's a good all around car.

===============

Reply to
CopperTop

Same reason there were slant-6 and 318 Chargers and Challengers in 1970. Some people want stylish transportation without the power and fuel consumption of a big v8. Nothing wrong with that.

Reply to
Steve

Recent review of Police edition Chargers quoted a test driver as saying the 3.5L was more than enough, as as fast as the V-8 as far as he cd tell.

Also: If the battery fails & you lose power, if you have the Hemi with variable displacement, it's a mandatory trip back to the dealership for you.

Reply to
K7AAY

For most purposes, I'd agree.

That's a load of horse excrement. If he's a "test" driver and can't tell the difference between a 3.5 and a 5.7, he needs to find a new line of work.

Sez who? And for what? I haven't heard that from any of the Chrysler service techs who post here or anyone else for that matter.

Mic Canic (or whatever your handle is today) is that true? Glenn (Maxpower)?

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
philthy

Incorrect. The Magnum has a 2.7... the Charger only has a 3.5 V-6.

Reply to
K7AAY
  1. May I refer you to
    found: The Hemi Mopars blew everyone else away [again] on the road course, but the street pursuit course is so tight they don't get up enough speed to be much faster than the other vehicles. In fact, the V6 Charger stayed right on the tail of the Hemi Magnum when they were out on that portion of the track together. The Hemi Charger was able to pull away from the V6 Magnum a bit, but that may have been a driver talent issue. The quicker driver was driving the V6 Charger when it was chasing the Hemi Magnum and he commented [in jest] that he "didn't need a Hemi, because the Magnum was holding him up."

-

  1. As to the power loss dealer reset, I will leave that to the techs to confirm, as that came from a website of high reliability, but I don't have time to go through the archive to look for it.
Reply to
K7AAY

I can't believe that intelligent beings, even ones working for the parent company responsible for the rolling mechanical cluster-farks called 'Mercedes,' would design a car that has to visit the dealer after a power disconnect.

I'd really like to know for sure about that allegation.

Reply to
Steve

Just curious. Which grain of sand is it that has caused this pearl of wisdom?

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

No one in particlular, just the burgeouning amount of driver-interfering crap they insist on putting in their cars. If I had to pick any one thing, BrakeAssist is probably the most offensive- I don't want the car second-guessing what I'm trying to make it do and doing the WRONG thing most of the time. I was always suspicious of the system when I read about it, but having had one friend buy an E-320 and another buy a CLK-550 in the past 2 years has confirmed my suspicions beyond all expectations.

Reply to
Steve

It should be an OK engine for legal driving.

Reply to
Spam Hater

What's the story on 'having to go back to the dealer? Why can't you just replace the battery?

K7AAY wrote:

Reply to
CLG