Anyone know what a 1984 Chrysler New Yorker door hinge look like?

Son bought the car with 70000km so it doesn't look like anything been altered but the door pins appear to be large cotter pins rather than pins and bushing arrangements. Haven't cleaned the grease off to really break it down and son off in car all the time so can't pin it down. The Haynes book shows - poorly - a steel pin or something like. Can barely open the door to full position without it locking and then a struggle (risking damage to body because of bending) to close. Haven't approached dealer yet because they are not that clever in this town and I would rather go in with the facts. Anybody own one of these?

Reply to
<steve.g1

Check out a junk yard. Should be able to find replacement there.

Reply to
Art

Yep, plan on using that as a last resort but from what I know so far is the

85 and newer had changed and 84's are few.
Reply to
Steve G

You probably just need new hinge pins and bushings. Dorman Products (part #

38408) makes the pins which you can get at Autozone, or other chains.
Reply to
Steve

Thanks Steve. Went out to have a final look. There are no pins or bushings. Chryslers!!! There is definitely large cotter pins about 5" long going through a sleeve on all door hinges. But. for future reference...I see now it's not the hinges. A different angle showed the door lock guides/plates in and behind the hinges (very crude). There're about 3"x3" mounted on the frame and are run over with a heavy bracket mounted on the door. And, like techtonic plates, no amount of grease would lubricate them. Again, very crude. I removed them all. 2 ea at front doors...1 each on back. Doors swing fine now but do not stay in the open position.

Reply to
Steve G

That is NOT how it came from the factory. Someone redneck-engineered the door hinges instead of getting a correct pin and bushing set.

Fix it right this time.

Reply to
Steve

Well not to worry anymore. Car written off in a snow storm yesterday. Anybody need parts.

Reply to
Steve G

Yea, brutal.

You guys are having some brutal weather lately.

Reply to
MoPar Man