ATF+4 in older transmissions

I need to change the fluid on my 1998 Dodge Stratus. When I went to Walmart to buy the fluid, they only had Mopar ATF+4.

If I remember correctly, the TSB said that ATF+4 could be used as a replacement to ATF+3, except for 1999 and before mini-vans.

I checked on Allpar.com, and there was mention about ATF+4 possibly not being compatible with all earlier seals, which may cause them to leak.

I will probably go ahead and do it, but just wanted to see if there are any opinions on this.

Thanks,

KM

Reply to
kmath50

I found the TSB, and it says that 1995 - 2000 Cloud cars are okay. It also says that ATF+4 is compatible with ATF+3, so I will go ahead.

-KM

Reply to
kmath50

The latest word seems to be that it can be used in ALL older Chrysler products, the odd exclusion on pre-99 Minivans was lifted. People have reported good success using it in 50s and 60s vintage Torqueflites, and while it would certainly do no harm I can't see spending the extra when Dexron III works perfectly in them and lasts just about forever.

Reply to
Steve

The Mopar ATF+4 bottle states that it is fully backward compatible with all previous ATF+ transmission fluid. (By the way, you can buy MOPAR brand ATF+4 at Wal-Mart now.)

Reply to
SRN

I need to change the fluid on my 1998 Dodge Stratus. When I went to

That is correct. They also have selected Mopar oil filters.

-KM

Reply to
kmath50

Do they also have the Mopar air filters?

Reply to
Count Floyd

Yes. They had the "MO-90" which is common on many Chrysler vehicles. They also have a bigger one, I did not get the number for it. They don't seem to have the smaller one for my Dodge Stratus with the 2.4L engine.

-KM

Reply to
kmath50