Avoid crappy Standard O2 sensor

Hi All,

3 years ago I replaced the O2 sensor on my 95 T&C with a new one, I forget where I got it but the part maker is "Standard"

I just tried taking the van through emissions again for the renewal, it failed, high CO and HC

I connected my OTC scantool and pulled error code 51, excessively lean fuel air mixture. Ha ha.

Of course, the computer stupidly thought this. Watching the output of the O2 sensor was most interesting. After warning up the engine, the O2 sensor voltage went to 0.00v. During warmup it's voltage fluctuated as a normal sensor does. I have to conclude that the sensor element cracked or some such and after warming up, the element opens.

I can only hope that the sensor failed recently and that the catcon hasn't been ruined.

3 years is IMHO way too short for one of these.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

man of machines

Is Standard maybe re-boxing Bosch sensors? Bosch sensors don't work too well on many (most? all?) Chrysler products.

Reply to
Bill Putney

Denso P/N 234-4077 is the one I got for my 95 Grand Caravan SE 3.3L. Doesn't your T&C have the mini trip computer? If it does it should have been showing some strange mileage numbers.

Reply to
Daniel Who Wants to Know

"Daniel Who Wants to Know" wrote in message news:MNIhl.499372$TT4.101277@attbi_s22...

Mileage had dropped perhaps 2mpg. I had noticed this months earlier - but there's around 140K miles on the engine and I had figured it was just due to worn plugs or some such.

The Standard O2 sensor I had in it was a part# SG209

The replacement O2 sensor I bought was a Denso P/N 234-4210 This is the "universal" version of the same sensor you put in - it's supplied without a plug. I simply cut off the old Standard sensor's plug and soldered it on to the wires coming from the Denso. (you have to be very careful to note wiring when you do this as the color-codes on the replacement sensor are different than the factory color codes, there's an instruction booklet that comes with the universal sensor that explains the wiring)

Incidentally when I first went to buy the sensor the Denso part that they crossed to was supplied with a plug that had one of the tab slots offset from the location it was supposed to be - I had the original O2 sensor with me and noticed the discrepancy, pointed it out, and also pointed out that there were scratches on the base of the sensor plus the box it was in was missing the packet of special grease - as I told them the sensor must have been purchased then returned and then put back on the shelf, and of course I didn't buy it. (I suspect the sensor wasn't even the correct part)

I had them special order the "universal" sensor just to avoid any problems with plugs. Supposedly the warranty on it is 1 year, but the box instructions claim the O2 sensor cannot be returned once opened. The universal sensor also came in a sealed plastic bag, the first one they tried giving me didn't.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt