AWD Prob?? (2002 Grand Caravan)

25,000 kms on her.

The first snow fall last year (first winter that I had it), my ass end spun around on a snowy day, scaring the heck out of me. So I went to an empty lot and learnt how do control that a bit better.

This winter, I got stuck on a slight slope, thought that odd. So I went to another snowy lot, tried a few hard turns, and there is NO evidence that the rear wheels spun AT ALL!! I think my AWD is not AWD'ing.

I guess I can jack up the van and do a few tests, seems risky. I will take it in under warranty Tuesday.

OR, am I missing something? Can't find a fuse, the lube does not have to be changed, maybe topped up (service guide says change at 24000 kms IF usage is severe, I don't think mine is).

Ideas?

PT_Sean

yep, its awd, not 4wd, think subaru, power to the wheels that grip, so if 3 wheels don't grip they get no power.

Reply to
Punch

You wish! It's the most low-tech thing on earth. They will spin, and there's nothing in the system that should kill it when you're going forward. It does have an overrunning clutch in it that causes it to not work in reverse, and some rube golberg dog clutch to re-engage it in reverse (they should have left all that off).

Here's what I did years ago; when it slows, see if you can make the rear tires spin while somebody else watches. Jack up the front and see if the rear will push it off the jacks. Or, with the engine off, in park, jack up the rear and roll the rear tire. It should roll free going one way, and you should have to fight the viscous clutch going the other way.

Reply to
Joe

I took it to the dealer, under warranty, they jacked it up and confirmed that all 4 spun while off the ground. Service dude said that they applied resistance and it still tried to spin (not sure WTF they did for that!). Wrote "Working fine" on the work order.

My in-law had a Ford Aerostar and could NOT get one tire to spin if he tried! It was/is an electronic AWD and it appeared to work by removing drive to the slipping wheel and xfer the drive to the others. This Chrysler is probably all viscous coupling with no locker in the transfer case/transfer unit.

I know that this is NOT working the way it once did.

Bummer

Reply to
PT_Sean